An Introduction to Modern Cosmology, 2nd Edition
This fully revised edition of a bestseller takes an approach which is grounded in physics with a logical flow of chapters leading the reader from basic ideas of the expansion described by the Friedman equations to some of the more advanced ideas about the early universe. It also incorporates up-to-date results from the Planck mission, which imaged the anisotropies of the Cosmic Microwave Background radiation over the whole sky. The Advanced Topic sections present subjects with more detailed mathematical approaches to give greater depth to discussions. Student problems with hints for solving them and numerical answers are embedded in the chapters to facilitate the reader’s understanding and learning.
Cosmology is now part of the core in many degree programs. This current, clear and concise introductory text is relevant to a wide range of astronomy programs worldwide and is essential reading for undergraduates and Masters students, as well as anyone starting research in cosmology.
Constants conversion factors and symbols.
1. A (Very) Brief History of Cosmological Ideas.
2. Observational Overview.
3. Newtonian Gravity.
4. The Geometry of the Universe.
5. Simple Cosmological Models.
7. The Cosmological Constant.
8. The Age of the Universe.
9. The Density of the Universe and Dark Matter.
10. The Cosmic Microwave Background.
11. The Early Universe.
12. Nucleosynthesis: The Origin of the Light Elements.
13. The Inflationary Universe.
14. The Initial Singularity.
15. Overview: The Standard Cosmological Model.
Advanced Topic 1: General Relativistic Cosmology
Advanced Topic 2: Classic Cosmology: Distances and Luminosities.
Advanced Topic 3: Neutrino Cosmology.
Advanced Topic 4: Baryogenesis.
Advanced Topic 5: Structures in the Universe.
Numerical answers and hints to problems.
- Approach grounded in physics rather than mathematics.
- Worked examples, student problems, hints for solving them and numerical answers.
- Latest observational results including WMAP satellite.
- New website with updates, full colour images and links to further information.
Published reviews of the First Edition:
"..a clear, concise and accessible book" New Scientist
"...one of the clearest introductions to cosmology on the market" Contemporary Physics