An Introduction to Modern Cosmology, 2nd Edition
* Adopts an approach grounded in physics rather than mathematics.
* Includes worked examples and student problems, along with hints for solving them and the numerical answers.
* Many reviewers have commented that this is one of the best 'introductory undergraduate level' texts on the subject and they would all welcome a Second Edition.
Constants conversion factors and symbols.
1. A (Very) Brief History of Cosmological Ideas.
2. Observational Overview.
3. Newtonian Gravity.
4. The Geometry of the Universe.
5. Simple Cosmological Models.
7. The Cosmological Constant.
8. The Age of the Universe.
9. The Density of the Universe and Dark Matter.
10. The Cosmic Microwave Background.
11. The Early Universe.
12. Nucleosynthesis: The Origin of the Light Elements.
13. The Inflationary Universe.
14. The Initial Singularity.
15. Overview: The Standard Cosmological Model.
Advanced Topic 1: General Relativistic Cosmology
Advanced Topic 2: Classic Cosmology: Distances and Luminosities.
Advanced Topic 3: Neutrino Cosmology.
Advanced Topic 4: Baryogenesis.
Advanced Topic 5: Structures in the Universe.
Numerical answers and hints to problems.
- Approach grounded in physics rather than mathematics.
- Worked examples, student problems, hints for solving them and numerical answers.
- Latest observational results including WMAP satellite.
- New website with updates, full colour images and links to further information.
Published reviews of the First Edition:
"..a clear, concise and accessible book" New Scientist
"...one of the clearest introductions to cosmology on the market" Contemporary Physics