Powder Puff Derby: Petticoat Pilots and Flying Flappers
Introduction and acknowledgements.
1. Clover Field (The Powder Puff Derby of 1929).
2. Print the legend (Florence ‘Pancho’ Barnes).
3. Bicycle dreams.
Aerial nymphs and parachute artistes: Elisabeth Thible and Dolly Shepherd.
Early birds: Elise de Laroche, Katherine Stinson, Hilda Hewlett, Harriet Quimby, Melli Beese and Eugenie Shakhovskaya.
4. Death of an unknownwoman (Lady Mary Heath).
5. Evelyn bobs her hair (Bobbi Trout).
6. ‘They say I shot a man and killed him’ (Jessie ‘Chubbie’ Miller).
7. Degrees of di?culty (Bessie Coleman and Hanna Reitsch).
8. Always stand on the right (Amelia Earhart and Amy Johnson).
Sources for each chapter.
"…a list of colorful characters…a refreshing diversion from the mainstream…" (Focus, October 2003)
"…walker tells a story of these early women pilots...with great dash and period detail…" (New Scientist, 20 September 2003)
“…This is an original, entertaining and most welcome addition to the aviation bookshelves…” (Spitfire Society, Journal November 2003)