Bioinformatics Biocomputing and Perl: An Introduction to Bioinformatics Computing Skills and Practice
Working with Perl presents an extended tutorial introduction to programming through Perl, the premier programming technology of the bioinformatics community. Even though no previous programming experience is assumed, completing the tutorial equips the reader with the ability to produce powerful custom programs with ease.
Working with Data applies the programming skills acquired to processing a variety of bioinformatics data. In addition to advice on working with important data stores such as the Protein DataBank, SWISS-PROT, EMBL and the GenBank, considerable discussion is devoted to using bioinformatics data to populate relational database systems. The popular MySQL database is used in all examples.
Working with the Web presents a discussion of the Web-based technologies that allow the bioinformatics researcher to publish both data and applications on the Internet.
Working with Applications shifts gear from creating custom programs to using them. The tools described include Clustal-W, EMBOSS, STRIDE, BLAST and Xmgrace. An introduction to the important Bioperl Project concludes this chapter and rounds off the book.
1. Setting the Biological Scene.
2. Setting the Technological Scene.
I: WORKING WITH PERL.
3. The Basics.
4. Places to Put Things.
5. Getting Organised.
6. About Files.
7. Patterns, Patterns and More Patterns.
8. Perl Grabbag.
II: WORKING WITH DATA.
9. Downloading Datasets.
10. The Protein Databank.
11. Non-redundant Datasets.
13. Databases and Perl.
III: WORKING WITH THE WEB.
14. The Sequence Retrieval System.
15. Web Technologies.
16. Web Automation.
IV: WORKING WITH APPLICATIONS.
17. Tools and Datasets.
19. Data Visualisation.
20. Introducing Bioperl.
Paul Barry works as a Lecturer in Computing Science at The Institute of Technology, Carlow in Ireland. He holds a B.Sc. from The University of Ulster in Jordanstown, Northern Ireland and recently completed an M.Sc. from The Institute of Technology, Sligo in Ireland. He is the author of Programming the Network with Perl (Wiley, 2002).
- An essential textbook for teaching how to apply Perl in the development of Web databases and automating bioinformatics tasks
- Focuses on learning Perl as a tool then applying it to bioinformatics problems
- Teaches readers to create their own customized programs to address specific tasks and to manage complex data structures within those programs
- Each chapter includes an example illustrating the use of material covered in that chapter and exercises to practise
- Features maxims and technical notes for easy reference.
- The book will have an accompanying website with details of source code and other supporting material
Bioinformatics Biocomputing and Perl: An Introduction to Bioinformatics Computing Skills and Practice (US $114.95)
Total List Price: US $239.90
Discounted Price: US $179.92 (Save: US $59.98)