Multiple User Interfaces: Cross-Platform Applications and Context-Aware Interfaces
Multiple User Interfaces: Engineering and Applications Frameworks is the first work to describe user interface design for mobile and hand-held devices such as mobile phones. Given the proliferation of books on web site design in the late '90s, this promises to be the forerunner in a new wave of books dealing with the issues specific to small screens, limited memory and wireless transmission. It also deals with problems relating to multi-user functionality and sharing the same application over various platforms.
- Offers a comprehensive account of state-of-the-art research
- Combines human and technical aspects including social interaction, workflow, HCI, & system architectures.
- Provides practical toolkits, guidelines and experience reports
- Includes contributions from leading experts at all the key institutions – Virginia Tech, Concordia University, Lancaster University, Ericsson & Intel
With such a unique and cutting-edge approach researchers and developers working on user interface design in companies manufacturing handsets and other portable devices, university HCI groups and companies providing web-based information services for delivery to hand-held devices will find this indispensable.
About the Editors.
PART I. BASIC TERMINOLOGY, CONCEPTS, AND CHALLENGES.
1. Executive Summary and Book Overview (Ahmed Seffah and Homa Javahery).
2. Multiple User Interfaces: Cross-Platform Applications and Context-Aware Interfaces (Ahmed Seffah and Homa Javahery).
PART II. ADAPTATION AND CONTEXT-AWARE USER INTERFACES.
3. A Reference Framework for the Development of Plastic User Interfaces (David Thevenin, et al.).
4. Temporal Aspects of Multi-Platform Interaction (David England and Min Du).
5. The PALIO Framework for Adaptive Information Services (Constantine Stephanidis, et al.).
PART III. DEVELOPMENT TECHNOLOGY AND LANGUAGES.
6. Building Multi-Platform User Interfaces with UIML (Mir Farooq Ali, et al.).
7. XIML: A Multiple User Interface Representation Framework for Industry (Angel Puerta and Jacob Eisenstein).
8. AUIT: Adaptable User Interface Technology, with Extended Java Server Pages (John Grundy and Wenjing Zou).
PART IV. MODEL-BASED DEVELOPMENT.
9. Adaptive Task Modeling: From Formal Models to XML Representations (Peter Forbrig, <i>et al.</i>).
10. Multi-Model and Multi-Level Development of User Interfaces (Jean Vanderdonckt, et al.).
11. Supporting Interactions with Multiple Platforms Through User and Task Models (L. Marucci, et al.).
PART. V ARCHITECTURES, PATTERNS, AND DEVELOPMENT TOOLKITS.
12. Migrating User Interfaces Across Platforms Using HCI Patterns (Homa Javahery, et al.).
13. Support for the Adapting Applications and Interfaces to Context (Anind K. Dey and Gregory D. Abowd).
14. A Run-time Infrastructure to Support the Construction of Distributed, Multi-User, Multi-Device Interactive Applications (Simon Lock and Harry Brignull).
PART VI. EVALUATION AND SOCIAL IMPACTS.
15 Assessing Usability across Multiple User Interfaces (Gustav Öquist, et al.).
16. Iterative Design and Evaluation of Multiple Interfaces for a Complex Commercial Word Processor (Joanna McGrenere).
17. Inter-Usability of Multi-Device Systems - A Conceptual Framework (Charles Denis and Laurent Karsenty).
Homa Javahery is a researcher and project manager with the Human-Centered Software Engineering Group, including the Usability and Empirical Studies Lab, in the department of Computer Science at Concordia University. She holds a Master's degree in Computer Science from Concordia University, and a Bachelor of Science degree from McGill University. She is combining different design approaches from human sconces and engineering disciplines to develop a pattern-oriented framework for designing a large variety of interfaces. She has been involved in different collaborative projects at the INRIA Research Institute in Nancy, France and the Daimler-Chrysler Research Institute in Ulm, Germany.
Multiple User Interfaces: Cross-Platform Applications and Context-Aware Interfaces (US $145.00)
Total List Price: US $225.00
Discounted Price: US $168.75 (Save: US $56.25)