A Climate Modelling Primer, 3rd Edition
A thoroughly revised and updated edition, this book assists the reader in understanding the complexities and applicabilities of today’s wide range of climate models. Topics covered include the latest techniques for modelling the coupled biosphere-ocean-atmosphere system, information on current practical aspects of climate modelling and ways to evaluate and exploit the results, discussion of Earth System Models of Intermediate Complexity (EMICs), and interactive exercises based on Energy Balance Model (EBM) and the Daisyworld model. Source codes and results from a range of model types allows readers to make their own climate simulations and to view the results of the latest high resolution models.
The accompanying CD contains:
- A suite of resources for those wishing to learn more about climate modelling.
- A range of model visualisations.
- Data from climate models for use in the classroom.
- Windows and Macintosh programs for an Energy Balance Model.
- Selected figures from the book for inclusion in presentations and lectures.
Chapter 1. Climate
Chapter 2. History of and Introduction to Climate Models.
Chapter 3. Energy Balance Models.
Chapter 4. Intermediate Complexity Models.
Chapter 5. Coupled Climate System Models.
Chapter 6. Practical Climate Modelling.
Appendix A: 20th Century Classics.
Appendix B: Glossary.
Appendix C: About the Primer CD.
Professor A. Henderson-Sellers is the Deputy Vice Chancellor (Research and Development) at the Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology. She maintains an active interest in climate modelling and climate impacts and has been a prominent participant in the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change process. She has published over 300 papers and books dealin with climate modelling and related issues.
- Thoroughly revised and updated edition of a successful previous edition
- Updated and improved illustrations and photos
- Includes discussion of Earth System Models of Intermediate Complexity (EMICs)
- Interactive exercises based on Energy Balance Model (EBM) and the Daisyworld model
- Updated programs for Win98 and Macintosh OSX
- Expanded consideration of the modelling of ocean circulation
- CD includes:
- Window and Macintosh programs for an Energy Balance Model and other simple climate models
- Data from climate models in a form suitable for classroom use
- Selected figures from the book in a form suitable for inclusion in presentations and lectures