Website Design and Development: 100 Questions to Ask Before Building a Website
How do you know that you've done everything possible to create a unique, enriching, and successful Web site, particularly when you're hiring others to do it? With Website Design and Development, you'll feel confident that you’ve exhausted every facet of building a Web site. The clever question-and-answer format walks you through easily overlooked details, acting as a virtual consultant. You’ll get clear, easy-to-follow advice on everything from finding a host, design and layout, creating content, marketing, to staying secure. Each question features a rating as to how critical it is to the welfare of the site, allowing you to pick and choose where to spend your time and money, and the answers contain helpful illustrations as well as action points. In addition, your learning experience is further enhanced by the high-quality accompanying video.
- Contains professional advice for creating—and maintaining—a successful Web site
- Features an accompanying video that offers additional examples, commentary, and advice for each question.
- Lists questions you should ask yourself or your web developer and then presents clear, concise answers as well as helpful checklists
- Rates each topic as to its importance in the grand scheme of your Web site so that you can determine how to spend your time and money
Website Design and Development answers the essential questions that need to be asked before creating a Web site.
Chapter 1: Domain Names.
1. Have You Thought of a Good Domain Name for Your Website?
2. Do You Need Multiple Domain Names?
3. How Much Should You Pay for a Domain?
4. Do You Know What Makes a Good Domain Registrar?
5. Who Will Register Your Domain and in Whose Name?
Chapter 2: Web Hosting.
6. Do You Need to Find a Web Hosting Provider for Your Site?
7. What Is the Difference between a Web Hosting Provider and an ISP?
8. How Reliable Is the Web Hosting Provider?
9. What Kind of Support Does the Web Hosting Provider Offer?
10. Does the Web Hosting Provider Have a Good Hosting Control Panel?
11. What Type of Server and Which Operating System Do You Require?
12. Does Your Website Have Specifi c Software Requirements?
13. How Much Storage Space and Bandwidth Do You Need for Your Site?
14. How Much Should You Be Paying for Web Hosting?
15. Do You Have a Strong Hosting Username and Password?
Chapter 3: E-mail.
16. Should Your E-mail Be on a Separate Server from Your Website?
17. Does Your E-mail Address Use Your Domain Name?
18. Can You Easily Manage E-mail Through Your Web Hosting Provider?
19. Can You Access Your Domain E-mail Through a Web Browser?
20. Do You Need an E-mail Account or an E-mail Alias?
Chapter 4: Design and Layout.
21 Who Will Design Your Site?
22 Will the Design of Your Site Support Your Content or Distract From It?
23 Will Your Site Layout Make Your Content Clear?
24 What Will Be the Width and Height of Your Website?
25 How Will the Design of the Text Make Your Content Clear?
26 Will Images Be Used Effectively in Your Design?
27 Will Your Design Make Good Use of White Space?
28 How Will Your Site Design Use Color?
29 Will the Background of Your Site Help Focus the Content or Distract From It?
30 How Will Elements Within Content Be Set Off from the Body Text?
31 Will Your Site Design Display Well in Different Browsers?
32 Will Your Site Design Display Well on Mobile Devices?
33 Will the Design of Your Site Navigation Complement or Clutter Your Site?
34 Will You Be Using Animation in Your Design?
Chapter 5: User Experience.
35 Will Your Navigation Menus Be Easy to Use?
36 Will Your Site Load Quickly?
37 Will Visitors Easily Know How to Stay in Touch with You?
38 Will Your Site Use Popups?
39 Will Your Forms Be Easy to Use?
40 What Happens If a Page on Your Site Does Not Exist?
41 How Easily Will Your Pages Print?
42 How User-Friendly Will Your Links Be?
43 Will Your Site Have Special Requirements for Certain Features to Work?
44 Could You Hide Some Content or Options to Reduce Visual Clutter?
45 How Easily Will Visitors Find Important Details Specific to Your Site?
46 How Will You Test The User-Friendliness Of Your Site?
Chapter 6: Construction.
47 Will Your Site Be Static or Dynamic?
48 Will Your Site Be Built With a Content Management System (CMS)?
49 Will You Use Tables or Style Sheets to Lay Out Your Site?
50 How Effectively Will Style Sheets Be Used on Your Website?
51 What Tools Will Be Needed for Building a Site or Its Content?
52 Will Your HTML Be Bloated?
53 Will Your Site Files Be Clearly Organized?
54 Will Your Nontext Files Use the Proper File Types?
55 Which Languages Other Than HTML Will You Use to Build Your Site?
Chapter 7: Content.
56 Will Your Content Serve Your Site's Purpose?
57 Will Your Content Be Easily Accessible?
58 Will the Content of Each Page Have a Single Focus?
59 Will Your Written Content Be Correct, Clear and Well Structured?
60 How Effectively Will Your Content Use Links?
61 Will You Effectively Use Images In Your Content?
62 How Will You Use Video or Audio in Your Content?
63 Will Your Site Use a Splash Page?
64 What Content Will Be On Your Home Page?
65 What Basic Content Pages Will Be On Your Site?
66 Will You Be Blogging On Your Site?
67 Will You Be Selling Online?
Chapter 8: Marketing and Promotion.
68 Do You Have a Web Marketing Plan?
69 How Will You Build Your E-mail List?
70 How Will You Market Yourself Using E-mail?
71 How Will You Manage Your Mailing List?
72 Which Social Media Will You Use to Promote Yourself?
73 How Will You Use Social Media to Promote Yourself?
74 How Will You Integrate Your Site with Social Media?
75 How Will Your Site Promote Itself?
76 Do You Have a Plan for Getting Important Sites to Link to You?
77 Do You Have Content You Can Offer to Other Sites?
78 Are You Willing to Get in Front of the Public Online or Off?
79 Will Paid Online Advertising be Part of Your Marketing Plan?
80 Is Affi liate Marketing Something You Could Use?
81 What Free Forms of Advertising and Promotion Will You Use Online?
82 How Will You be Promoting Your Site Offl ine?
83 How Do You Plan to Track Website Visitors and Marketing Results?
Chapter 9: Search Engine Optimization.
84 What Are Your Search Engine Expectations?
85 How Do You Plan to Research Useful Keywords for Your Site?
86 Will Your Pages Have the Hidden HTML Tags Necessary for Search Engines?
87 Will Your Content Be Search Engine–Friendly?
88 Will Your Search Engine Strategy Cover Specialty Searches?
89 Will Your Links to and From Other Sites Be Search Engine–Friendly?
90 Do You Know What Your Site Will Look Like to Search Engines?
91 Will the HTML Code for Your Site Be Search Engine–Friendly?
92 Will You Need to Hire Anyone to Help Optimize Your Site for Search Engines?
Chapter 10: Housekeeping and Security.
93 How Will You Back Up Your Site?
94 Will You Be Regularly Checking Your Site's Functionality?
95 Do You Have a Plan for Updating Site Content?
96 Will You Routinely Check Your Contact Information?
97 Will You Have Content You Can’t Afford to Have Stolen?
98 Will Your Site Administration Be Securely Accessed?
99 Will You Be Collecting Sensitive Visitor Information On Your Site?
100 How Will You Protect Your Site From Attacks?
Appendix A: Resources.
Appendix B: Glossary.
Appendix C: What's on the DVD?