Heat Conduction, 3rd Edition
This price is valid for United States. Change location to view local pricing and availability.
The long-awaited revision of the bestseller on heat conduction
Heat Conduction, Third Edition is an update of the classic text on heat conduction, replacing some of the coverage of numerical methods with content on micro- and nanoscale heat transfer. With an emphasis on the mathematics and underlying physics, this new edition has considerable depth and analytical rigor, providing a systematic framework for each solution scheme with attention to boundary conditions and energy conservation. Chapter coverage includes:
- Heat conduction fundamentals
- Orthogonal functions, boundary value problems, and the Fourier Series
- The separation of variables in the rectangular coordinate system
- The separation of variables in the cylindrical coordinate system
- The separation of variables in the spherical coordinate system
- Solution of the heat equation for semi-infinite and infinite domains
- The use of Duhamel's theorem
- The use of Green's function for solution of heat conduction
- The use of the Laplace transform
- One-dimensional composite medium
- Moving heat source problems
- Phase-change problems
- Approximate analytic methods
- Integral-transform technique
- Heat conduction in anisotropic solids
- Introduction to microscale heat conduction
In addition, new capstone examples are included in this edition and extensive problems, cases, and examples have been thoroughly updated. A solutions manual is also available.
Heat Conduction is appropriate reading for students in mainstream courses of conduction heat transfer, students in mechanical engineering, and engineers in research and design functions throughout industry.