Visual Meetings: How Graphics, Sticky Notes and Idea Mapping Can Transform Group Productivity
Use eye-popping visual tools to energize your people!
Just as social networking has reclaimed the Internet for human interactivity and co-creation, the visual meetings movement is reclaiming creativity, productivity, and playful exchange for serious work in groups.
Visual Meetings explains how anyone can implement powerful visual tools, and how these tools are being used in Silicon Valley and elsewhere to facilitate both face-to-face and virtual group work. This dynamic and richly illustrated resource gives meeting leaders, presenters, and consultants a slew of exciting tricks and tools, including
- Graphic recording, visual planning, story boarding, graphic templates, idea mapping, etc.
- Creative ways to energize team building, sales presentations, staff meetings, strategy sessions, brainstorming, and more
- Getting beyond paper and whiteboards to engage new media platforms
- Understanding emerging visual language for leading groups
Unlocking formerly untapped creative resources for business success, Visual Meetings will help you and your team communicate ideas more effectively and engagingly.
The Power of Visual Meetings.
I: Just Imagine.
What if Meetings Were Really Fun AND Productive?
1. Visualization Is Worth 80 IQ Points / Tapping Energy, Intelligence, & Creativity.
2. Everybody Knows Graphic Language / It’s Gesture with a Pen.
3. Four Easy Ways to Get Started / Personal Visualization, Napkins & Flipcharts, Graphic Templates, & Getting Others to Draw.
II: Engaging Groups & Building Rapport.
Why Visual Listening Is So Compelling (and Easy!).
4. Getting People Involved / Using Pictures to Interact.
5. Presentation without PowerPoint / Simple Drawings & Graphic Templates.
6. Consulting & Selling with Graphics / Drawing Out Customer Interests.
7. Hands-On Information / Sticky Notes & Dot Voting.
8. Using Images & Interaction / Collage & Picture Cards.
III: Graphics for Visual Thinking.
Mapping Ideas & Finding Key Patterns.
9. Group Graphics / Seven Ways to Write on the Wall.
10. Problem Solving / Getting Unstuck & Thinking around Corners.
11. Storyboarding & Idea Mapping / How Innovators & Designers Work.
12. Visual Planning / Using Graphic Templates to See the Big Picture.
13. Multiple Meetings & Gallery Walks / Making Sense of Things over Space & Time.
14. Digital Capture / Extending Your Meeting with Visual Documentation.
15. Visualizing at a Distance / Using Tablets in Web Meetings.
IV: Graphics for Enacting Plans.
Visuals for Teams, Projects, & Getting Results.
16. Supporting Team Performance / Visualizing Goals, Roles, & Action Plans.
17. Decision-Making Meetings / Aligning on Agreements & Getting Commitments.
18. Project Management Meetings / Mapping Progress with Pictures.
19. Facilitating Innovation & Change / Playing with Prototypes.
20. Training & Workshops / Leveraging Action Learning.
V: Seeing It All Come Together.
Tools for the Seriously Hooked.
21. The Path to Visual Competency / Learning from the Groups You Lead.
22. The Future Is Visible Now! / Seeds of a Real Revolution in Meetings.
23. Resources & Networks / Grove Tools, Web Resources, Bibliography.
“David Sibbet is the father of visual facilitation. This book finally lets us see meetings as he sees them—as eye-opening opportunities to discover what people really think. David’s approach to visually recording and visually facilitating meetings will help you become a better meeting leader and participant, see a whole new side of business—and a whole new side of yourself.” –Dan Roam, author of The Back of the Napkin
“I have experienced the transformative power of David’s pioneering visual methods and tools. Open this book and you will get a clear vision of collaboration in the future—groups inspired and energized, tapping into their collective wisdom to create sustainable solutions: the global brain at work.” –Meryem Le Saget, Meryem Le Saget Consulting, Paris
“David Sibbet is a genius. Buy this book, and study it, not only for better meetings, but for better organizations, better teams, and a better future.” –Alan M. Webber, co-founder of Fast Company magazine
“This amazing book shows you how visualization can bring clarity to the growing complexity around us.” –Bob Johansen, Distinguished Fellow, Institute for the Future
“This book is like David’s workshops—fun and fruitful. Time and again, I have seen the principles and processes described in this book yield a rich harvest among audiences in Singapore.” –Dawn Yip, Soulbreath Consulting Singapore
“Visual Meetings is an elegant and immensely practical guide to transforming group productivity. It provides novices with a fast start to making the most of scarce group time.” –Paul Saffo, Technology Forecaster Visiting Scholar, Stanford Media-X Network
“’What If Meetings Were Really Fun AND Productive?’ Can you imagine? Visual meetings master David Sibbet has done it—put all the competency, wisdom, language, technique, resources, tools, everything you need in one delightful book?” –Robert E. Horn, author of Visual Language: Global Communication for the 21st Century