Achieving Quality Through Continual Improvement
July 1998, ©1999
With a lack of appropriate textbooks available for the new quality management courses now proliferating at business schools, this book fills a crucial need in this growing and changing market. The authors bring a unique blend of experience to the text, including academia, consulting in manufacturing and service industries, and a strong information technology background. The text achieves a balance of both managerial and statistical coverage, with an emphasis on processes and hands-on discussion of quality tools. Case studies and extensive examples complement the text.
The text is written for a "management-oriented" course that emphasizes the managerial aspects of quality; basic statistical tools for achieving quality are also covered. The other book by Ledolter and Burrill (Statistical Quality Control: Strategies and Tools for Continual Improvement, Wiley, 1999) can be used for an in-depth discussion of statistical tools.
History of the Quality Movement.
The Value of Implementing Quality.
People and Quality.
Products, Processes, and Quality.
Exploring the Meaning of Quality.
A PROCESS VIEW OF QUALITY.
The Production Process.
Creating a Production Process.
The Specification Process.
The Design Process.
The Create Process.
The Examine Process.
MANAGEMENT ISSUES IN ACHIEVING QUALITY.
The Quality System.
Establishing a Culture for Quality.
Quality and People Management.
Stabilizing the Quality System.
Managing by Facts: Data Gathering and Data Classification.
Data Analysis and Data Presentation.
Statistical Techniques for Achieving Quality.
Quality Improvement Initiatives.
Optimism for the Future: Quality Awards and Success Stories.
- Well balanced author team with academic and professional experience.
- Text features a balance of managerial and statistical coverage.
- Coverage of manufacturing, service, and business processes; not biased towards any industry.
- Emphasis on processes and hands-on discussion of quality tools teach students to address and solve realistic quality problems.
- Includes quality improvement projects for individuals and teams.
- Case studies and extensive examples complement the text.
- Emphasis on quality improvement through management by facts and team work.