Discrete Mathematics Using Latin Squares
In the past two decades, researchers have discovered a range of uses for Latin squares that go beyond standard mathematics. People working in the fields of science, engineering, statistics, and even computer science all stand to benefit from a working knowledge of Latin squares. Discrete Mathematics Using Latin Squares is the only upper-level college textbook/professional reference that fully engages the subject and its many important applications.
Mixing theoretical basics, such as the construction of orthogonal Latin squares, with numerous practical examples, proofs, and exercises, this text/reference offers an extensive and well-rounded treatment of the topic. Its flexible design encourages readers to group chapters according to their interests, whether they be purely mathematical or mostly applied. Other features include:
- An entirely new approach to discrete mathematics, from basic properties and generalizations to unusual applications
- 16 self-contained chapters that can be grouped for custom use
- Coverage of various uses of Latin squares, from computer systems to tennis and golf tournament design
- An extensive range of exercises, from routine problems to proofs of theorems
- Extended coverage of basic algebra in an appendix filled with corresponding material for further investigation.
Written by two leading authorities who have published extensively in the field, Discrete Mathematics Using Latin Squares is an easy-to-use academic and professional reference.
A Brief Introduction to Latin Squares.
Mutually Orthogonal Latin Squares.
Principle of Inclusion-Exclusion.
Groups and Latin Squares.
Graphs and Latin Squares.
Affine and Projective Planes.
Orthogonal Hypercubes and Affine Designs.
Miscellaneous Applications of Latin Squares.
GARY L. MULLEN is a professor in the Department of Mathematics at The Pennsylvania State University in University Park, Pennsylvania.
Discrete Mathematics Using Latin Squares (US $155.95)
-and- Graph Edge Coloring: Vizing's Theorem and Goldberg's Conjecture (US $108.00)
Total List Price: US $263.95
Discounted Price: US $197.96 (Save: US $65.99)