Classical Styles in Modern Architecture: From the Colonnade to Disjunctured Space
This price is valid for United States. Change location to view local pricing and availability.
* Photographs that show and reference ordinary, everyday buildings and civic structures along with some of the more familiar monuments of architecture
* A historical section that identifies the growth of democratic governments as one of the foundations of modernism. Focusing on the United States rather than on the socialist societies of Europe, it is thus more relevant to the contemporary political situation
* Discussions of leading theorists such as Giedion, Pevsner, and Venturi, as well as of key buildings and architects drawn from the past one hundred years
* Technological, cultural, and formal analyses of both classicism and modernism
* A discursive rather than scholarly review of why buildings look the way they do
Classical Styles in Modern Architecture is certain to expand the debate on the subject and possibly even provoke controversy. Given the impact that many post-modern projects have had on the fabric of most American cities, however, it is bound to be of interest to any reader concerned about the future of ture in the United States--in the ways our cities will look and, consequently, how we will live in them
Buy Both and Save 25%!
Classical Styles in Modern Architecture: From the Colonnade to Disjunctured Space (US $80.00)
-and- The Life of the British Home: An Architectural History (US $50.00)
Total List Price: US $130.00
Discounted Price: US $97.50 (Save: US $32.50)