People Places: Design Guidlines for Urban Open Space, 2nd Edition
* Clear, readable translations of existing research on people's use of outdoor spaces.
* Performance-based design recommendations that specify key relationships between design and use.
* Design review checklists that help readers plan and critique designs.
* A clearly organized, concise format equally useful to the design practitioner and the design student.
The newly revised edition of People Places also includes:
* Discussion of accessibility issues, including ADA regulations and the concept of universal design; and of design responses aimed at crime reduction.
* Procedures for conducting post-occupancy evaluations of designed outdoor spaces.
* Updated and new information on each type of outdoor space, with special attention to hospitals, child care facilities, and campus outdoor spaces where specific advances have occurred since 1990.
* A completely new color-photo section and 50 new black and white illustrations.
Winner of the Merit Award in Communication from the American Society of Landscape Architects, People Places is an essential working tool for landscape architects and architects, city planners, urban designers, neighborhood groups, and anyone else concerned with the quality of urban open space.
Neighborhood Parks (C. Marcus, et al.).
Miniparks and Vest-Pocket Parks (C. Marcus & N. Greene).
Campus Outdoor Spaces (C. Marcus & T. Wischemann).
Outdoor Spaces in Housing for the Elderly (D. Carstens).
Child Care Outdoor Spaces (C. Francis).
Hospital Outdoor Spaces (R. Paine, et al.).
Post-Occupancy Evaluation (C. Marcus & C. Francis).
* Clare Cooper Marcus is Professor Emeritus in the Departments of Landscape Architecture and Architecture at the University of California, Berkeley. She is also co-principal of a consulting partnership providing user-needs analysis to design firms. Ms. Marcus is the author of Easter Hill Village: Some Social Implications of Design (1975), co-author of Housing as if People Mattered (1986), author of House as a Mirror of Self (1995), and co-author of the forthcoming Healing Gardens (1998).
* Carolyn Francis has taught in the Departments of Landscape Architecture and Architecture at the University of California, Berkeley.As co-principal of a consulting partnership with Ms. Marcus, she provides consulting input to a variety of design and planning projects, with particular emphasis on participatory processes and the needs of children.
People Places: Design Guidlines for Urban Open Space, 2nd Edition (US $99.00)
Total List Price: US $189.00
Discounted Price: US $141.75 (Save: US $47.25)