Immunology: Clinical Case Studies and Disease Pathophysiology
March 2009, Wiley-Blackwell
26 real-life cases illustrate the applications of basic immunology in clinical settings
May be utilized alone or as a companion to Immunology: A Short Course 6th edition by Coico and Sunshine ISBN 9780470081587
Each case study is introduced by clearly written descriptions of the major immunological disorders
Full colour photographs and illustrations complement complete presentation of real data
Includes complete set of problems and discussion questions for each chapter
I. IMMUNODEFICENCY DISEASES.
Evaluation of the Immunodeficient Patient.
A. Primary Immunodeficiency Diseases.
1. X-linked Agammaglobulinemia (Bruton’s Agammaglobulinemia (Susan RS Gottesman).
2. Severe Combined Immunodeficiency Disease (Fabio Candotti).
3. DiGeorge Syndrome (Susan RS Gottesman).
4. Hyper-IgM Syndrome (Warren Strober).
5. Common Variable Immunodeficiency Disease (Warren Strober).
6. Autoimmune Lymphoproliferative Syndrome (ALPS) (Thomas Fleicher).
7. X-Linked Lymphoproliferative Disease (Jeffrey Cohen).
8. Hereditary Angioedema, (Milon Basta and Walter Reed).
B. Secondary Immunodeficiency Diseases.
9. Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome (AIDS) (Frank Maldarelli).
II. IMMEDIATE HYPERSENSITIVITY AND MAST CELL DISORDERS.
10. Mastocytosis (Cem Akin).
11. Anaphylaxis (Robert Hamilton).
12. Asthma (Dale Umetsu).
13. The Vasculitides (Michael Sneller).
III. AUTOIMMUNE DISORDERS.
Overview of Autoimmune Disorders and Mechanisms of Tolerance.
14. Myasthenia Gravis (Angela Vincent and John Radcliffe).
15. Multiple Sclerosis (Roland Martin).
16. Diabetes Mellitus (Kristina Rother).
17. Celiac Disease (Warren Strober).
18. Inflammatory Bowel Disease (Peter Mannon).
19. Psoriasis (Bruce Strober).
20. IgA Nephropathy and Kidney Transplantation (Roz Mannon).
21. Rheumatoid Arthritis (Barbara Mittleman).
22. Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (Gabor Illei).
23. Scleroderma (Atsushi Kitani).
IV. MALIGNANCIES OF THE LYMPHOID SYSTEM.
Classification of Lymphoid Malignancies.
24. Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia/Small Lymphocytic Lymphoma (Susan RS Gottesman).
25. Follicular Lymphoma (Susan RS Gottesman).
26. Plasma Cell Neoplasms (Susan RS Gottesman).
V. Appendix - Immunological Techniques Used in the Study of Patients with Disease.
- Twenty-six case studies that cover topics including immunodeficiency diseases, immediate hyper-sensitivity and mast cell disorders, autoimmune disorders, and malignancies of the lymphoid system
- Full-color photographs and illustrations that complement the case studies
- Each section begins with an introductory chapter that teaches students about the subject area in that section, how to approach and use the material in the cases, and how to get the most out of the material for research, clinical application, and further study
- A complete set of problems and discussion questions for each chapter
“[This book] effectively accomplishes its stated goals. This well-written and easy-to-read book covers a wide variety of topics … and provides a wealth of experience in a patient-oriented format. The editors of this book succeed in moving readers from beginning to end using this case-based approach. [This book] offers a number of teaching possibilities and could be useful in teaching immunology when combined with current textbooks.” (JAMA, April 2010)