Janice VanCleave's A+ Science Fair Projects
August 2003, Jossey-Bass
Looking to wow the judges at the science fair this year? Everyone's favorite science teacher is here to help. Janice VanCleave's A+ Science Fair Projects has everything you need to put together a winning entry, with detailed advice on properly planning your project, from choosing a topic and collecting your facts to designing experiments and presenting your findings.
Featuring all-new experiments as well as time-tested projects collected from Janice VanCleave's A+ series, this easy-to-follow guide gives you an informative introduction to the science fair process. You get thirty-five complete starter projects on various topics in astronomy, biology, chemistry, earth science, and physics, including explorations of:
* The angular distance between celestial bodies
* The breathing rate of goldfish
* Interactions in an ecosystem
* Nutrient differences in soils
* Heat transfer in the atmosphere
* Magnetism from electricity
* And much more!
You'll also find lots of helpful tips on how to develop your own ideas into unique projects. Janice VanCleave's A+ Science Fair Projects is the ideal guide for any middle or high school student who wants to develop a stellar science fair entry.
I. A GUIDE TO SCIENCE FAIR PROJECTS.
1. The Scientific Method.
2. Topic Research.
4. Project Research.
5. Project Overview.
6. Experimental Data.
7. Project Summaries.
8. The Display.
9. Presentation and Evaluation.
II. 35 A+ SCIENCE FAIR PROJECT IDEAS.
1. Solar System Scale: Miniature Model (Planetology).
2. Angular Separation: Angular Distance between Celestial Bodies (Astronometry).
3. Orbital Period: Time of Revolution (Celestial Mechanics).
4. Artificial Satellites: Man-made Orbiters (Astronautics).
5. Apparent Magnitude: Apparent Star Brightness (Astrophysics).
6. Sunspots: Cooler Surface Regions (Heliology).
7. Galilean Satellites: Jupiter’s Largest Moons (Planetary Satellite Science).
8. Meteors: Streaks of Light in the Sky (Meteoritics).
9. Meristematic Region: Growth Zone (Botany—Morphology).
10. Seed Parts: Exterior and Interior (Botany—Anatomy).
11. Autotrophs: Food Builders (Botany—Physiology).
12. Aquatic Respiration: Breathing Rate of Goldfish (Zoology—Anatomy).
13. Operant Conditioning: The “Aha!” Response (Zoology—Behaviorism).
14. Ecosystem: Interactions (Ecology).
15. Preservatives: Food Additives (Microbiology).
16. The Best Plant Food: Nutrient Differences in Soils (Agricultural Chemistry).
17. Acid-Base Indicators: Color Changers (Inorganic Chemistry).
18. Enzymes: Chemical Controllers (Biochemistry).
19. Triglycerides: Saturated and Unsaturated (Organic Chemistry).
20. Vitamin C Content: Analysis of Food by Titration (Analytical Chemistry).
21. Viscosity: A Difference in Stickiness (Physical Chemistry).
22. The Hydrologic Cycle: The Movement of Water from Place to Place (Physical Geology—Hydrology).
23. Minerals: Distinguishing Physical Characteristics of Minerals (Physical Geology—Mineralogy).
24. The Rock Cycle: Processes That Change One Rock Type into Another (Physical Geology—Petrology).
25. Soil Texture: Effects of Regolith Size (Physical Geology—Soil Science).
26. Topography: Highs and Lows of the Earth’s Surface (Physical Geography—Topography).
27. The Greenhouse Effect: Heat Transfer in the Atmosphere (Meteorology).
28. Soundings: Mapping a Profile of the Ocean Floor (Oceanography).
29. Resonance: Sympathetic Vibration (Acoustics).
30. Thermal Conduction: Transfer of Vibrational Energy (Thermodynamics).
31. Static Electricity: Stationary Charges (Elementary Particle Physics).
32. Electromagnetism: Magnetism from Electricity (Electrodynamics).
33. Static Fluids: Fluids at Rest (Fluid Dynamics).
34. Newton’s Third Law of Motion: Action-Reaction (Mechanics).
35. Polarization: Vibrations in One Direction (Optics).
Appendix 1: Random Error of Measurement.
Appendix 2: Relative Error: Percentage Error.
Appendix 3: Planet Facts and Figures.
Appendix 4: Random Sampling in an Open Ecosystem.
Appendix 5: Cross-Staff.
Appendix 6: Preparing Test Solutions.
Appendix 7: Manometer.
Appendix 8: Science Project and Experiment Books.
Appendix 9: Sources of Scientific Supplies.