Plant Genomics and Proteomics
A comprehensive guide to this fascinating area of genomics, Plant Genomics and Proteomics presents an integrated, broadly accessible treatment of the complex relationship between the genome, transcriptome, and proteome of plants. This clearly written text introduces the reader to the range of molecular techniques applicable to investigating the unique facets of plant growth, development, and response to the environment. Coverage includes:
- Functional and structural genomics addressed within the context of current techniques and challenges to come
- How to utilize DNA and protein sequence data
- Practical considerations for choosing and employing the most commonly available computer applications
- A review of applications for biotechnology, including genetic modification and defense against pathogens
- Bioinformatics tools and Web resources
- Numerous examples from the latest research throughout
Assuming no specialized knowledge of plant biology on the part of its reader, Plant Genomics and Proteomics provides an invaluable resource for students and researchers in biotechnology, plant biology, genomics, and bioinformatics.
1. The Structure of Plant Genomes.
2. The Basic Toolbox—Acquiring Functional Genomic Data.
3. Sequencing Strategies.
4. Gene Discovery.
5. Control of Gene Expression.
6. Functional Genomics.
7. Interactions with the External Environment.
8. Identification and Manipulation of Complex Traits.
10. Bioethical Concerns and the Future of Plant Genomics.
"…a comprehensive and clear introduction to the methods currently employed in plant molecular biology." (E-STREAMS, July 2004)
"An up-to-date technical guide which describes a plethora of approaches used to gain knowledge of a plant's genes, their structure and function…. A helpful publication for individuals with a background in genetics or cell/molecular biology." (Southern Naturalist, March 2004)
"…the author does an admirable job of summarizing a large and growing field." (Yale Journal of Biology and Medicine, July 2003)