Applied Management Science: Modeling, Spreadsheet Analysis, and Communication for Decision Making, 2nd Edition
February 2002, ©2002
Appropriate for a one semester Soph/Jr/Sr/MBA level course in Management Science, Quantitative Methods for Business, or Operations Research. The second edition uses EXCEL. (WinQSB fans and users from the first edition can package WinQSB with the second edition).
Linear and Integer Programming Models.
Applications of Linear and Integer Programming Models.
Project Scheduling Models.
Appendix A: Standard Normal Distribution.
Appendix B: Partial Expectations of the Standard Normal Distribution.
Appendix C: Pseudo-Random Numbers.
Appendix D: t-Distribution.
Appendix E: X¯2 Distribution.
Appendix F: F Distribution.
Appendix G: Constants for Quality Control Charts.
Appendix H: Critical Values of Spearman's Rank Correlation Coefficient.
Answers to Selected Problems.
- Excel templates. These templates are built into the text. The L&P difference is that the EXCEL templates are partially constructed so that the focus is on learning about management science and not about learning EXCEL
- Streamlined coverage
- Chapter 3 in full color to show power and flexibility of spreadsheet modeling and solutions.
- Increased volume and variety of end of chapter problems
- CD in text includes Crystal Ball, Tree Plan, and Extend
- Simulation chapter expanded and improved
- Strong emphasis on modeling and analysis instead of plug and chug solution of problems. For each concept, the authors build the model first, then solve with spreadsheets.
- Unique emphasis on the interpretation, and communication of results to management. Teaches the relevance of management science for business decision making.
- Superior end of chapter problems - challenging, relevant, varied. Non-trivial examples in the text reinforce chapter concepts.
- Wider variety of topics, including quality management and Markov Processes as optional chapters on the accompanying CD.