Handbook of Noise and Vibration Control
Crocker's new handbook covers an area of great importance to engineers and designers. Noise and vibration control is one largest areas of application of the acoustics topics covered in the successful encyclopedia and handbook. It is also an area that has been under-published in recent years. Crocker has positioned this reference to cover the gamut of topics while focusing more on the applications to industrial needs. In this way the book will become the best single source of need-to-know information for the professional markets.
1. Fundamentals of Acoustics, Noise, and Vibration (Malcolm J. Crocker).
PART I. Fundamentals of Acoustics and Noise.
2. Theory of Sound—Predictions and Measurement (Malcolm J. Crocker).
3. Sound Sources (Philip A. Nelson).
4. Sound Propagation in Rooms (K. Heinrich Kuttruff).
5. Sound Propagation in the Atmosphere (Keith Attenborough).
6. Sound Radiation from Structures and Their Response to Sound (Jean-Louis Guyader).
7. Numerical Acoustical Modeling (Finite Element Modeling) (R. Jeremy Astley).
8. Boundary Element Modeling (D. W. Herrin, T. W. Wu, and A. F. Seybert).
9. Aerodynamic Noise: Theory and Applications (Philip J. Morris and Geoffrey M. Lilley).
10. Nonlinear Acoustics (Oleg V. Rudenko and Malcolm J. Crocker).
PART II. Fundamentals of Vibration.
11. General Introduction to Vibration (Bjorn A. T. Petersson).
12. Vibration of Simple Discrete and Continuous Systems (Yuri I. Bobrovnitskii).
13. Random Vibration (David E. Newland)
14. Response of Systems to Shock (Charles Robert Welch and Robert M. Ebeling).
15. Passive Damping (Daniel J. Inman).
16. Structure-Borne Energy Flow (Goran Pavic).
17. Statistical Energy Analysis (Jerome E. Manning).
18. Nonlinear Vibration (Lawrence N. Virgin, Earl H. Dowell, and George Flowers).
PART III. Human Hearing and Speech.
19. General Introduction to Human Hearing and Speech (Karl T. Kalveram).
20. The Ear: Its Structure and Function, Related to Hearing (Hiroshi Wada).
21. Hearing Thresholds, Loudness of Sound, and Sound Adaptation (William A. Yost).
22. Speech Production and Speech Intelligibility (Christine H. Shadle).
PART IV. Effects of Noise, Blast, Vibration, and Shock on People.
23. General Introduction to Noise and Vibration Effects on People and Hearing Conservation (Malcolm J. Crocker).
24. Sleep Disturbance due to Transportation Noise Exposure (Lawrence S. Finegold, Alain G. Muzet, and Bernard F. Berry).
25. Noise-Induced Annoyance (Sandford Fidell).
26. Effects of Infrasound, Low-Frequency Noise, and Ultrasound on People (Norm Broner).
27. Auditory Hazards of Impulse and Impact Noise (Donald Henderson and Roger P. Hamernik).
28. Effects of Intense Noise on People and Hearing Loss (Rickie R. Davis and William J. Murphy).
29. Effects of Vibration on People (Michael J. Griffin).
30. Effects of Mechanical Shock on People (A. J. Brammer).
31. Hearing Protectors (Samir N. Y. Gerges and John G. Casali).
32. Development of Standards and Regulations for Occupational Noise (Alice H. Suter).
33. Hearing Conservation Programs (John Erdreich).
34. Rating Measures, Descriptors, Criteria, and Procedures for Determining Human Response to Noise (Malcolm J. Crocker).
PART V. Noise and Vibration Transducers, Analysis Equipment, Signal Processing, and Measuring Techniques.
35. General Introduction to Noise and Vibration Transducers, Measuring Equipment, Measurements, Signal Acquisition, and Processing (Malcolm J. Crocker).
36. Acoustical Transducer Principles and Types of Microphones (Gunnar Rasmussen and Per Rasmussen).
37. Vibration Transducer Principles and Types of Vibration Transducers (Colin H. Hansen).
38. Sound Level Meters (George S. K. Wong).
39. Noise Dosimeters (Chucri A. Kardous).
40. Analyzers and Signal Generators (Henrik Herlufsen, Svend Gade, and Harry K. Zaveri).
41. Equipment for Data Acquisition (Zhuang Li and Malcolm J. Crocker).
42. Signal Processing (Allan G. Piersol).
43. Noise and Vibration Measurements (Pedro R. Valletta and Malcolm J. Crocker).
44. Determination of Sound Power Level and Emission Sound Pressure Level (Hans G. Jonasson).
45. Sound Intensity Measurements (Finn Jacobsen).
46. Noise and Vibration Data Analysis (Robert B. Randall).
47. Modal Analysis and Modal Testing (David J. Ewins).
48. Machinery Condition Monitoring (Robert B. Randall).
49. Wavelet Analysis of Vibration Signals (David E. Newland).
50. Use of Near-Field Acoustical Holography in Noise and
Measurements (Earl G. Williams).
51. Calibration of Measurement Microphones (Erling Frederiksen).
52. Calibration of Shock and Vibration Transducers (Torben Rask Licht).
53. Metrology and Traceability of Vibration and Shock Measurements (Hans-J¨urgen von Martens).
PART VI. Principles of Noise and Vibration Control and Quiet Machinery Design.
54. Introduction to Principles of Noise and Vibration Control (Malcolm J. Crocker).
55. Noise and Vibration Source Identification (Malcolm J. Crocker).
56. Use of Enclosures (Jorge P. Arenas and Malcolm J. Crocker).
57. Use of Sound-Absorbing Materials (Malcolm J. Crocker and Jorge P. Arenas).
58. Use of Barriers (Jorge P. Arenas).
59. Use of Vibration Isolation (Eric E. Ungar).
60. Damping of Structures and Use of Damping Materials (Eric E. Ungar).
61. Dynamic Vibration Absorbers (Leif Kari).
62. Rotor Balancing and Unbalance-Caused Vibration (Maurice L. Adams, Jr.).
63. Active Noise Control (Stephen J. Elliott).
64. Active Vibration Control (Christopher Fuller).
65. Microelectromechanical Systems (MEMS) Sensors for Noise and Vibration Applications (James J. Allen).
66. Design of Low-Noise Machinery (Michael Bockhoff).
67. Psychoacoustics and Product Sound Quality (Malcolm J. Crocker).
PART VII. Industrial and Machine Element Noise and Vibration Sources—Prediction and Control.
68. Machinery Noise and Vibration Sources (Malcolm J. Crocker).
69. Gear Noise and Vibration Prediction and Control Methods (Donald R. Houser).
70. Types of Bearings and Means of Noise and Vibration Prediction and Control (George Zusman).
71. Centrifugal and Axial Fan Noise Prediction and Control (Gerald C. Lauchle).
72. Types of Electric Motors and Noise and Vibration Prediction
Methods (George Zusman).
73. Pumps and Pumping System Noise and Vibration Prediction and Control (Mirko Cudina).
74. Noise Control of Compressors (Malcolm J. Crocker).
75. Valve-Induced Noise: Its Cause and Abatement (Hans D. Baumann and Mats Abom).
76. Hydraulic System Noise Prediction and Control (Nigel Johnston).
77. Furnace and Burner Noise Control (Robert A. Putnam, Werner Krebs, and Stanley S. Sattinger).
78. Metal-Cutting Machinery Noise and Vibration Prediction and Control (Joseph C. S. Lai).
79. Woodworking Machinery Noise (Knud Skovgaard Nielsen and John S. Stewart).
80. Noise Abatement of Industrial Production Equipment (Evgeny Rivin).
81. Machine Tool Noise, Vibration, and Chatter Prediction and Control (Lars Hakansson, Sven Johansson, and Ingvar Claesson).
82. Sound Power Level Predictions for Industrial Machinery (Robert D. Bruce, Charles T. Moritz, and Arno S. Bommer).
PART VIII. Transportation Noise and Vibration—Sources, Prediction, and Control.
83. Introduction to Transportation Noise and Vibration Sources (Malcolm J. Crocker).
84. Internal Combustion Engine Noise Prediction and Control—Diesel and Gasoline Engines (Thomas E. Reinhart).
85. Exhaust and Intake Noise and Acoustical Design of Mufflers and Silencers (Hans Bod´en and Ragnar Glav).
86. Tire/Road Noise—Generation, Measurement, and Abatement (Ulf Sandberg and Jerzy A. Ejsmont).
87. Aerodynamic Sound Sources in Vehicles—Prediction and Control (Syed R. Ahmed).
88. Transmission and Gearbox Noise and Vibration Prediction and Control (Jiri Tuma).
89. Jet Engine Noise Generation, Prediction, and Control (Dennis L. Huff and Edmane Envia).
90. Aircraft Propeller Noise—Sources, Prediction, and Control (F. Bruce Metzger and F. Farassat).
91. Helicopter Rotor Noise: Generation, Prediction, and Control (Hanno H. Heller and Jianping Yin).
92. Brake Noise Prediction and Control (Michael J. Brennan and Kihong Shin).
93. Wheel–Rail Interaction Noise Prediction and Its Control (David J. Thompson).
PART IX. Interior Transportation Noise and Vibration Sources—Prediction and Control.
94. Introduction to Interior Transportation Noise and Vibration Sources (Malcolm J. Crocker).
95. Automobile, Bus, and Truck Interior Noise and Vibration
Control (Robert J. Bernhard, Mark Moeller, and Shaobo Young).
96. Noise Management of Railcar Interior Noise (Glenn H. Frommer).
97. Interior Noise in Railway Vehicles—Prediction and Control (Henrik W. Thrane).
98. Noise and Vibration in Off-Road Vehicle Interiors—Prediction and Control (Nickolay Ivanov and David Copley).
99. Aircraft Cabin Noise and Vibration Prediction and Passive Control (John F. Wilby).
100. Aircraft Cabin Noise and Vibration Prediction and Active Control (Sven Johansson, Lars H°akansson, and Ingvar Claesson).
101. Noise Prediction and Prevention on Ships (Raymond Fischer and Robert D. Collier).
PART X. Noise and Vibration Control in Buildings.
102. Introduction—Prediction and Control of Acoustical
Building Spaces (Louis C. Sutherland).
103. Room Acoustics (Colin H. Hansen).
104. Sound Absorption in Rooms (Colin H. Hansen).
105. Sound Insulation—Airborne and Impact (Alfred C. C. Warnock).
106. Ratings and Descriptors for the Built Acoustical Environment (Gregory C. Tocci).
107. ISO Ratings and Descriptors for the Built Acoustical Environment (Heinrich A. Metzen).
108. Acoustical Design of Office Work Spaces and Open-Plan Offices (Carl J. Rosenberg).
109. Acoustical Guidelines for Building Design and Noise Control (Chris Field and Fergus Fricke).
110. Noise Sources and Propagation in Ducted Air Distribution Systems (Howard F. Kingsbury).
111. Aerodynamic Sound Generation in Low Speed Flow Ducts (David J. Oldham and David D. Waddington).
112. Noise Control for Mechanical and Ventilation Systems (Reginald H. Keith).
113. Noise Control in U.S. Building Codes (Gregory C. Tocci).
114. Sound Insulation of Residential Housing—Building Codes and Classification Schemes in Europe (Birgit Rasmussen).
115. Noise in Commercial and Public Buildings and
Control (Chris Field and Fergus Fricke).
116. Vibration Response of Structures to Fluid Flow and Wind (Malcolm J. Crocker).
117. Protection of Buildings from Earthquake-Induced Vibration (Andreas J. Kappos and Anastasios G. Sextos).
118. Low-Frequency Sound Transmission between Adjacent Dwellings (Barry M. Gibbs and Sophie Maluski).
PART XI. Community and Environmental Noise and Vibration Prediction and Control.
119. Introduction to Community Noise and Vibration Prediction and Control (Malcolm J. Crocker).
120. Exterior Noise of Vehicles—Traffic Noise Prediction and Control (Paul R. Donavan and Richard Schumacher).
121. Rail System Environmental Noise Prediction, Assessment, and Control (Brian Hemsworth).
122. Noise Attenuation Provided by Road and Rail Barriers, Earth
Buildings, and Vegetation (Kirill Horoshenkov, Yiu W. Lam, and Keith Attenborough).
123. Ground-Borne Vibration Transmission from Road and Rail
Prediction and Control (Hugh E. M. Hunt and Mohammed F. M. Hussein).
124. Base Isolation of Buildings for Control of Ground-Borne Vibration (James P. Talbot).
125. Aircraft and Airport Noise Prediction and Control (Nicholas P. Miller, Eugene M. Reindel, and Richard D. Horonjeff).
126. Off-Road Vehicle and Construction Equipment Exterior Noise
and Control (Lyudmila Drozdova, Nickolay Ivanov, and Gennadiy H. Kurtsev).
127. Environmental Noise Impact Assessment (Marion A. Burgess and Lawrence S. Finegold).
128. Industrial and Commercial Noise in the Community (Dietrich Kuehner).
129. Building Site Noise (Uwe Trautmann).
130. Community Noise Ordinances (J. Luis Bento Coelho).
Thorough coverage of all the main topics of importance in noise and vibration control in engineering, environmental and architectural design
Covers the physiological aspects of sound and noise including speech, hearing and the effects of noise on these
Covers the analysis and measurement of sound and vibration and the controls necessary to lower noise levels at the point of source, in the sound path, and at the receiving end
"It is recommended that this book be close at hand for every acoustical consulting and design engineer. It is remarkably complete and deals with noise and vibration at levels understood by all engineers. I give this Handbook my heartiest endorsement." (International Journal of Acoustics and Vibration, Vol 12)
"A new 1,600-page reference book, "Handbook of Noise and Vibration Control," intended to be the definitive source on noise and vibration control for engineers, scientists, and researchers. The new reference book addresses a range of topics in acoustics and vibration, focusing on industrial needs." (Airport Noise Report; 11/2/07)
Handbook of Noise and Vibration Control (US $230.00)
Total List Price: US $445.00
Discounted Price: US $333.75 (Save: US $111.25)