Structured COBOL Programming for the AS400, 2nd Edition
January 2002, ©2002
Cooper/COBOL 400 is designed specifically for the COBOL course run on the AS/400 platform. The text is intended for readers with no previous programming or computer experience as well as for those with some background in the computing field. It has been specifically designed for use in college courses on COBOL, both in two-year and four-year schools.
2. An Introduction to Programming in COBOL/400.
3. Defining Files and Processing Data.
4. Printing Reports.
5. Designing Structured Programs.
6. Moving Data and Text Manipulation.
7. Computing in COBOL: The Arithmetic Verbs.
8. Decision-Making Using the IF and EVALUATE Statements.
9. Iteration: Beyond the Basic PERFORM.
10. The COPY and CALL Statements.
11. Logical Files.
12. Control Break Processing.
13. Random File Access for Keyed Files.
14. Interactive Programming.
15. Single-Level Arrays and Tables.
16. Multiple-Level Arrays and Tables.
17. Subfile Programming.
Appendix A. The 5250 Keyboard.
Appendix B. COBOL Character Set and Reserved Words.
Appendix C. CRTBNDCBL Command and PROCESS Statement.
Additional chapters available from the Programming in COBOL/400 web site
18. Working in the iSeries Programming Environment.
19. Externally Described Printer Files.
20. Sorting and Merging.
Appendix D. Differences Between COBOL 74 and COBOL 85.
Appendix E. Solutions to Chapter self-test Questions.
Appendix F. Glossary.
- Increased coverage of ILE COBOL.
- Increased coverage of subfiles.
- All COBOL programming examples illustrated throughout the book have been changed from program listings to compiled versions with line numbers.
- All program dates now Y2K compliant.
- All database data fields now Y2K compliant--modified and defined as data fields (data type L) in physical files.
- Arrival-sequence and keyed-sequence physical files now separated. (Arrival-sequence in Chapter 1; Keyed files in Chapter 11).
- Designed specifically for courses using the AS/400
- Rich pedagogical structure based on best-selling Stern & Stern COBOL text
- Extensive end of chapter exercises