Fourth Grade Success: Everything You Need to Know to Help Your Child Learn
September 2005, Jossey-Bass
- What your fourth grader is learning at school and the educational standards to expect in math, language arts, science, and social studies
- Hundreds of easy-to-do activities designed to help your child meet specific learning requirements
- Environmental learning sections that identify learning opportunities in the everyday world
- Methods and checklists to assess your child’s academic progress
- Information on how teachers evaluate performance¾portfolios, rubrics, test scores, and other tools of the trade
- How to help your child prepare for standardized testing
- Recommendations of age-appropriate books and software that will enhance learning
1. Getting the Most for Your Fourth Grader.
Getting the Most from Your School System.
Getting the Most from Your Homeschool Curriculum.
Using Supplemental Materials.
2. Fourth Grade Development.
Piaget’s Stages of Cognitive Development.
Developmental Goals for Nine-Year-Olds.
Developmental Goals for Ten-Year-Olds.
3. Fourth Grade Learning.
4. The Standards.
Types of Learning Standards.
Learning Standards Resources.
5. Fourth Grade Reading.
Beginning of Fourth Grade Reading Checklist.
Selecting Reading Material.
The Mechanics of Reading.
End of Fourth Grade Reading Checklist.
6. Fourth Grade Writing.
Beginning of Fourth Grade Writing Checklist.
Grammar and Writing.
The Writing Process
End of Fourth Grade Writing Checklist.
7. Fourth Grade Math.
Beginning of Fourth Grade Math Checklist.
Number Sense and Patterns.
Geometry and Measurement.
Data Analysis and Probability.
End of Fourth Grade Math Checklist.
8. Fourth Grade Science.
Beginning of Fourth Grade Science Checklist.
Physical Science and Earth Science.
End of Fourth Grade Science Checklist.
9. Fourth Grade Social Studies.
Beginning of Fourth Grade Social Studies Checklist.
End of Fourth Grade Social Studies Checklist.
10. Teaching Your Fourth Grader Thinking Skills.
Beginning of Fourth Grade Thinking Skills Checklist.
End of Fourth Grade Thinking Skills Checklist.
Assessing Individual Student Abilities and Knowledge.
Measuring and Comparing School, School District, Statewide, and National Performance for Broad Public Accountability.
12. Fourth Grade Society.
Ten Going on Thirty.
The Green-Eyed Monster.
13. Moving On to Fifth Grade.
Ready to Go.
Appendix A: Literature for Fourth Graders.
Appendix B: Software for Fourth Graders.
Appendix C: Fourth Grade Topical Calendar.
--Michael Gurian, author of Boys and Girls Learn Differently and The Wonder of Boys
"Finally, a book about teaching young children by somebody who knows her stuff! I can (and will) wholeheartedly recommend this series to the ever-growing number of parents who ask me for advice about how they can help their children succeed in elementary school."
--LouAnne Johnson, author of Dangerous Minds and The Queen of Education
"Having examined state standards nationwide, Amy James has created innovative and unique games and exercises to help children absorb what they have to learn, in ways that will help them want to learn. Individualized to the child's own learning style, this is a must-have series for parents who want to maximize their child's ability to succeed in and out of the classroom."
--Myrna B. Shure, Ph.D, author of Thinking Parent, Thinking Child
"The books in Amy James’ timely and unique Knowledge Essentials series give parents a clear idea of what their children are learning and provide the tools they need to help their children live up to their full academic potential. This is must reading for any parent with a school-age child."
--Michele Borba, Ed.D., author of Nobody Likes Me, Everybody Hates Me and No More Misbehavin’