Second Grade Success: Everything You Need to Know to Help Your Child Learn
June 2005, Jossey-Bass
"Knowledge Essentials is a remarkable series that will benefit children of all abilities and learning styles. . . I highly recommend it for all parents who want to make a difference in their children's education."
--Michael Gurian, author of Boys and Girls Learn Differently and The Wonder of Boys
"Finally, a book about teaching young children by somebody who knows her stuff!"
--LouAnne Johnson, author of Dangerous Minds and The Queen of Education
Part of the new Knowledge Essentials series, Second Grade Success shows you how to enrich your child's classroom learning and take an active role in your first grader's education by exploring:
* What your second grader is learning at school and the educational standards to expect in math, language arts, science, and social studies
* Your child's learning style--visual, auditory, or kinesthetic--and how it affects the way your child learns and processes information
* Hundreds of easy-to-do activities designed to help your child meet specific learning requirements
* Environmental learning sections that identify learning opportunities in the everyday world
* Methods and checklists to assess your child's academic progress
* Information on how teachers evaluate performance--portfolios, rubrics, test scores, and other tools of the trade
* Recommendations of age-appropriate books and software that will enhance learning
Give your child the gift of your time--and help him or her get the most out of school with Second Grade Success.
1. Getting the Most for Your Second Grader.
2. Second Grade Development.
3. Second Grade Learning.
4. The Standards.
5. Second Grade Reading.
6. Second Grade Writing.
7. Second Grade Math.
8. Second Grade Science.
9. Second Grade Social Studies.
10. Teaching Your Second Grader Thinking Skills.
12. Second Grade Society.
13. Moving on to Third Grade.
Appendix A: Literature for Second Graders.
Appendix B: Software for Second Graders.
Appendix C: Second Grade Topical Calendar.
"Finally, a book about teaching young children by somebody who knows her stuff! I can (and will) wholeheartedly recommend this series to the ever-growing number of parents who ask me for advice about how they can help their children succeed in elementary school." --LouAnne Johnson, author of Dangerous Minds and The Queen of Education
"Having examined state standards nationwide, Amy James has created innovative and unique games and exercises to help children absorb what they have to learn, in ways that will help them want to learn. Individualized to the child's own learning style, this is a must-have series for parents who want to maximize their child's ability to succeed in and out of the classroom." --Myrna B. Shure, Ph.D, author of Thinking Parent, Thinking Child
"The books in Amy James’ timely and unique Knowledge Essentials series give parents a clear idea of what their children are learning and provide the tools they need to help their children live up to their full academic potential. This is must reading for any parent with a school-age child." --Michele Borba, Ed.D., author of Nobody Likes Me, Everybody Hates Me and No More Misbehavin’