Handbook of Addictive Disorders: A Practical Guide to Diagnosis and Treatment
"This book brings together an array of international experts on addictive disorders. Robert Coombs's Handbook of Addictive Disorders discusses the contemporary issues surrounding the understanding of addiction, from diagnosis to treatment of an addicted client. The Handbook of Addictive Disorders is an example of practical and clinical information at its best."
-Lorraine D. Grymala, Executive Director American Academy of Health Care Providers in the Addictive Disorders
The Handbook of Addictive Disorders: A Practical Guide to Diagnosis and Treatment is a comprehensive, state-of-the-art resource, featuring valuable contributions from a multidisciplinary team of leading experts. This unique guide deftly defines addiction and examines its comorbidity with other problems. Subsequent chapters present an overview of addictive disorders coupled with strategies for accurately diagnosing them, planning effective treatment, and selecting appropriate interventions. Chapters on public policy and prevention are of indispensable value in light of this growing health concern.
The only reference available to cover the full spectrum of addictions and addictive behaviors, the Handbook of Addictive Disorders provides the most current research and treatment strategies for overcoming:
- Chemical dependency
- Compulsive gambling
- Eating disorders
- Sex addiction
- Compulsive buying
Psychologists, addiction counselors, social workers, and others working in the addictions field will find the Handbook of Addictive Disorders to be an essential resource for practical, validated information on all types of addictions and their related problems.
1. The Nature of Addiction (David E. Smith and Richard B. Seymour).
2. Addiction Interaction Disorder (Patrick J. Carnes, Robert E. Murray, and Louis Charpentier).
PART II: CHEMICAL DEPENDENCE.
3. Understanding and Diagnosing Substance Use Disorders (Arthur W. Blume).
4. Treating Substance Use Disorders (Jeanne L. Obert, Ahndrea Weiner, Janice Stimson, and Richard A. Rawson).
PART III: COMPULSIVE GAMBLING.
5. Understanding and Diagnosing Compulsive Gambling (Linda Chamberlain).
6. Treating Compulsive and Problem Gambling (William G. McCown).
PART IV: SEX ADDICTION.
7. Understanding and Diagnosing Sex Addiction (Jennifer P. Schneider).
8. Treating Sex Addiction (Robert Weiss).
PART V: EATING DISORDERS.
9. Understanding and Diagnosing Eating Disorders (David M. Garner and Anna Gerborg).
10. Treating Eating Disorders (Jean Petrucelli).
PART VI: WORKAHOLISM.
11. Understanding and Diagnosing Workaholism (Bryan E. Robinson and Claudia Flowers).
12. Treating Workaholism (Steven Berglas).
PART VII: COMPULSIVE BUYING.
13. Understanding and Diagnosing Compulsive Buying (Helga Dittmar).
14. Treating Compulsive Buying (April Lane Benson and Marie Gengler).
PART VIII: PUBLIC POLICY AND PREVENTION.
15. Public Policy on Addictive Disorders (Beau Kilmer and Robert J. MacCoun).
16. Preventing Addictive Disorders (Kenneth W. Griffin and Gilbert J. Botvin).
- Most up-to-date coverage of addictive disorders and behaviors
- Multidisciplinary team of authors and editors represent leading experts in addictions field
- Numerous illustrative tools including figures, diagrams, and case studies
- Features practical intervention and assessment tools to use in the field
Lorraine D. Grymala, Executive Director, American Academy of Health Care Providers in the Addictive Disorders