Dependable Computing Systems: Paradigms, Performance Issues, and Applications
With computers and networks pervading every aspect of daily life, there is an ever-growing demand for dependability. In this unique resource, researchers and organizations will find the tools needed to identify and engage state-of-the-art approaches used for the specification, design, and assessment of dependable computer systems.
The first part of the book addresses models and paradigms of dependable computing, and the second part deals with enabling technologies and applications. Tough issues in creating dependable computing systems are also tackled, including:
* Verification techniques
* Model-based evaluation
* Adjudication and data fusion
* Robust communications primitives
* Fault tolerance
* Grid security
* Dependability in IBM mainframes
* Embedded software
* Real-time systems
Each chapter of this contributed work has been authored by a recognized expert. This is an excellent textbook for graduate and advanced undergraduate students in electrical engineering, computer engineering, and computer science, as well as a must-have reference that will help engineers, programmers, and technologists develop systems that are secure and reliable.
PART I: MODELS AND PARADIGMS.
1. Formal Verification Techniques for Digital Systems (Masahiro Fujita, Satoshi Komatsu, and Hiroshi Saito).
2. Tolerating Arbitrary Failures With State Machine Replication (Assia Doudou, BenoÄ±Ë?t Garbinato, and Rachid Guerraoui).
3. Model-Based Evaluation as a Support to the Design of Dependable Systems (Andrea Bondavalli, Silvano Chiaradonna, and Felicita di Giandomenico).
4. Voting: A Paradigm for Adjudication and Data Fusion in Dependable Systems (Behrooz Parhami).
5. Robust Communication Primitives for Wireless Sensor Networks (Amol Bakshi and Viktor K. Prasanna).
6. System-Level Diagnosis and Implications in Current Context (Arun K. Somani).
7. Predicate Detection in Asynchronous Systems With Crash Failures (Felix C. Gärtner and Stefan Pleisch).
8. Fault Tolerance Against Design Faults (Lorenzo Strigini).
9. Formal Methods for Safety Critical Systems (Ali E. Abdallah, Jonathan P. Bowen, and Nimal Nissanke).
PART II: ENABLING TECHNOLOGIES AND APPLICATIONS.
10. Dependability Support in Wireless Sensor Networks (Denis Gracanin, Mohamed Eltoweissy, Stephan Olariu, and Ashraf Wadaa).
11. Availability Modeling in Practice (Kishor S. Trivedi, Archana Sathaye, and Srinivasan Ramani).
12. Experimental Dependability Evaluation (João Gabriel Silva and Henrique Madeira).
13. A Dependable Architecture for Telemedicine in Support of Disaster Relief (Stephan Olariu, Kurt Maly, Edwin C. Foudriat, Sameh M. Yamany, and Thomas Luckenbach).
14. An Overview of IBM Mainframe Dependable Computing: From System/360 to Series (Lisa Spainhower).
15. Tracking the Propagation of Data Errors in Software (Martin Hiller, Arshad Jhumka, and Neeraj Suri).
16. Integrated Reliable Real-Time Systems (Mohamed Younis).
17. Network Resilience by Emergent Behavior from Simple Autonomous Agents (Bjarne E. Helvik and Otto Wittner).
18. Safeguarding Critical Infrastructures (David Gamez, Simin Nadjm-Tehrani, John Bigham, Claudio Balducelli, Kalle Burbeck, and Tobias Chyssler).
19. Impact of Traffic Self-Similarity on the Performance of Routing Algorithms in Multicomputer Systems (Geyong Min, Mohamed Ould-Khaoua, Demetres D. Kouvatsos, and Irfan U. Awan).
20. Some Observations on Adaptive Meta-Heuristics for Routing in Datagram Networks (Albert Y. Zomaya, Tysun Chan, and Miro Kraetzl).
21. Reconfigurable Computing for Cryptography (Hassan B. Diab).
22. Dependability of Reconfigurable Computing (Mohamed Younis, I-Hong Yeh, Nicholas Kyriakopoulos, Nikitas Alexandridis, and Tarek El-Ghazawi).
ALBERT Y. ZOMAYA, PhD, is the CISCO Systems Chair Professor of Internetworking, School of Information Technologies, The University of Sydney, and Deputy Director for Information Technology of the Sydney University Biological Informatics and Technology Centre. Dr. Zomaya has been the chair of the IEEE Technical Committee on Parallel Processing and has been awarded the IEEE Computer Society's Meritorious Service Award.
Buy Both and Save 25%!
Dependable Computing Systems: Paradigms, Performance Issues, and Applications (US $195.00)
-and- Large-Scale Computing Techniques for Complex System Simulations (US $115.95)
Total List Price: US $310.95
Discounted Price: US $233.21 (Save: US $77.74)