American Culinary Federation Guide to Competitions
American Culinary Federation Guide to Competitions features a full-color insert of competitive food displays and dozens of illustrations outlining plate and buffet presentation to supplement exceptional coverage of every step of competing, including:
- The application process
- Practice and preparation
- Culinary techniques and fundamentals
- Culinary strategy for hot food competitions
- The market basket
- Hosting a show
- Pastry displays
- Rules, guidelines, and categories
- The international arena
Table of Contents.
1. Why culinary competitions.
2. On culinary competitions today.
Types of competitions.
The mystery basket.
Contemporary Hot food.
3. Philosophy of competitions and advice..
4. The application process.
Items to look for before the commitment.
Helpful hints when submitting the recipe..
5. Practice and Preparation.
Skills and Attribute Inventory.
Presentations in context.
7. Culinary Techniques and Fundamentals.
Craftsmanship in slicing.
General Guidelines Pastry.
What to concentrate on.
What to Avoid.
8. Culinary Strategy for Hot Food Competitions.
Menu, Plate and Platter Development.
Elements of Flavors.
Kitchen Confidence & Professionalism.
A Review of Cooking methods.
9. The Market Basket.
Attacking the basket and sample baskets.
Competition Items to review.
Sample Score Sheets.
Chef Ed's Helpful Insights.
Becoming a judge.
Apprentice Judge Critique.
What the competitor should expect.
Scoring & Assessments.
Tips from Chef Leonard.
11. Hosting a Show.
Requirements for Hot Food.
12. Pastry Displays.
Some insight by Chef Thomas Vaccaro CEPC.
ACF Culinary Team USA Pastry Coach.
13. Rules, Guidelines and Categories.
Categories and Procedures.
Traditional Hot Food.
Edible Cold and Pastry Competitions.
Sample Score Sheets.
14. The International Arena.
15. Motivational quotes.
Recommending reading from the Chef.
EDWARD G. LEONARD, CMC, is Captain and Team Manager of the ACF Culinary Team USA. He is also the President of the American Culinary Federation and Executive Chef at the Westchester Country Club in Rye, New York.
- Packed with the tools chefs and students need for making a grand showing at any competition, stateside or abroad
- Includes key foundation recipes, clear guidelines, and scoring sheet samples, as well as insights and hints from experienced judges
- Endorsed by the American Culinary Federation, the nation's largest cooks federation with over 21,000 members
- Four color insert featuring 20 color photos of hot and cold food displays from ACF sanctioned competitions