Inorganic Materials Synthesis and Fabrication
This comprehensive volume on the preparation of single-phase inorganic materials covers the most important methods and techniques in solid-state synthesis and materials fabrication, including recent advances in the field. Incorporating both the fundamental background as well as information on advanced methodologies, Inorganic Materials Synthesis and Fabrication:
Explains the basic principles of crystallography, thermodynamics, and kinetics required to use the techniques described
Covers crystallographic and microstructural considerations
Discusses the chemical energetics and atomistics of reactions and transformations in solids
Details solid-vapor reactions, solid-liquid reactions, and solid-solid reactions
Covers nanomaterials synthesis, including bottom-up and top-down methods
Incorporates information on materials fabrication, including texture control, forming processes, consolidation methods, and more
Includes extensive references to the literature
Presents biographical sketches of distinguished materials scientists of the twentieth century
With an accessible, interdisciplinary approach, this is an excellent introductory text for materials science and engineering, chemistry, and physics students, as well as a practical, hands-on reference for working professionals.
1. Crystallographic and Microstructural Considerations.
2. Chemical Energetics and Atomistics of Reactions and Transformations in Solids.
3. Solid - Vapor Reactions.
4. Solid - Liquid Reactions.
5. Solid - Solid Reactions.
6. Nanomaterials Synthesis.
7. Materials Fabrication.
Appendix A1: General Mechanical Engineering Terms.
Appendix A2: Green Materials Synthesis and Processing.
John N. Lalena, PhD, is an Adjunct Assistant Professor of Chemistry at the University of Maryland University College-Europe, and an Affiliate Research Assistant Professor of Chemistry at Virginia Commonwealth University in Richmond, Virginia. DAVID A. CLEARY, PhD, is Professor of Chemistry at Gonzaga University in Spokane, Washington. EVERETT E. CARPENTER, PHD, is Assistant Professor in the Department of Chemistry at Virginia Commonwealth University. NANCY F. DEAN, PHD, was formerly a research manager at Honeywell Electronic Materials and now runs her own consulting firm.
- Provides the crystallographic, thermodynamic, and kinetic background necessary to effectively use the synthetic techniques covered
- Covers materials fabrication, a topic often left out of traditional solid state and materials chemistry texts
- Acknowledging the connections between chemistry, physics, and materials science, the text uses a highly interdisciplinary approach to understanding the chemical synthesis and fabrication of inorganic materials
- Includes many worked examples, ideal for the student
- Contains extensive references to the literature for further study
- Contains short biographies of the most prominent contributors to the field in the 20th century
- Based on courses taught at Gonzaga University and Virginia Commonwealth University
Inorganic Materials Synthesis and Fabrication (US $131.00)
-and- Engineering Solutions for Sustainability: Materials and Resources (US $41.95)
Total List Price: US $172.95
Discounted Price: US $129.71 (Save: US $43.24)