Preschool Success: Everything You Need to Know to Help Your Child Learn
July 2006, Jossey-Bass
"Knowledge Essentials is a remarkable series that will benefit children of all abilities and learning styles. . . . I highly recommend it for all parents who want to make a difference in their children's education."
--Michael Gurian, author of Boys and Girls Learn Differently and The Wonder of Boys
"Finally, a book about teaching young children by somebody who knows her stuff!"
--LouAnne Johnson, author of Dangerous Minds and The Queen of Education
In this new addition to the Knowledge Essentials series, Preschool Success shows you how to enrich your child's first classroom experience and take an active role in your preschooler's education. Preschool Success is filled with helpful advice and offers information about:
* What your child is learning at school and the educational standards to expect in preschool-level reading and writing readiness, math, science, and social studies--as well as the developmental skills expected of your preschooler
* Your child's learning style--visual, auditory, or kinesthetic--and how it affects the way your child learns and processes information
* Dozens of easy-to-do activities designed to help your child meet specific learning requirements
* Environmental learning sections that identify learning opportunities in the everyday world
* Methods and checklists to assess your child's progress
* The developmental and social changes expected of your preschooler as well as information on how to determine readiness to move up to kindergarten
* Recommendations of age-appropriate books and software that will enhance learning
Give your child the gift of your time--and help him or her get the most out of school with Preschool Success.
1 Getting the Most for Your Preschooler.
Getting the Most from Your Preschool.
Getting the Most from Your Homeschool Curriculum.
Using Supplemental Materials.
2 Preschool Development.
Piaget’s Stages of Cognitive Development.
Developmental Goals for Four-Year-Olds.
Developmental Goals for Five-Year-Olds.
3 Preschool Learning.
4 The Standards.
Types of Learning Standards.
Learning Standards Resources.
5 Preschool Reading Readiness.
Beginning of Preschool Reading Readiness Checklist.
Words Have Meaning.
End of Preschool Reading Readiness Checklist.
6 Preschool Writing Readiness.
Beginning of Preschool Writing Readiness Checklist.
End of Preschool Writing Readiness Checklist.
7 Preschool Math.
Beginning of Preschool Math Checklist.
Number Sense and Patterns.
Geometry and Measurement.
End of Preschool Math Checklist.
8 Preschool Science.
Beginning of Preschool Science Checklist.
Earth and Space Science.
End of Preschool Science Checklist.
9 Preschool Social Studies.
Beginning of Preschool Social Studies Checklist.
End of Preschool Social Studies Checklist.
10 Teaching Your Preschooler Thinking Skills.
Beginning of Preschool Thinking Skills Checklist.
End of Preschool Thinking Skills Checklist.
Assessing Individual Student Abilities and Knowledge.
Assessing for Kindergarten Readiness.
12 Preschool Society.
13 Moving On to Kindergarten.
Ready to Go.
Appendix A: Literature for Preschoolers.
Appendix B: Software for Preschoolers.