Signage and Wayfinding Design: A Complete Guide to Creating Environmental Graphic Design Systems
1 What Is Environmental Graphic Design?
The Spectrum of EGD Activity.
The Importance of EGD Today.
You Can’t Learn This in College.
What’s Ahead in This Book.
2 The Design Process.
The Client Is Part of the Process.
The Design Process Applied to EGD.
Phase 1: Data Collection and Analysis (Predesign).
Phase 2: Schematic Design.
Phase 3: Design Development.
Phase 4: Documentation.
Phase 5: Bidding (Postdesign).
Phase 6: Fabrication/Installation Observation.
Phase 7: Postinstallation Evaluation.
3 Overview of the Signage Pyramid Model.
Genesis of a Design Approach.
The Signage Pyramid's Component Systems.
The Signage Pyramid and Resource Allocation.
4 The Information Content System.
Kinds of Sign Information Content.
Hierarchy of Content.
Developing the Sign Information Content System.
Navigation: Message Hierarchy and Proximity.
Other Factors Affecting the Sign Information Content System.
Pictorial Information Content.
Signage Master Plans.
5 The Graphic System.
Choosing a Typeface.
Typographic Considerations in Signage for Nonsighted and Low-Sighted People.
Symbols and Arrows.
Other Graphic Elements.
Overview of Signage Graphic Application Process.
6 The Hardware System.
Connotations of Form.
Sign Mounting Considerations.
Sign Size Considerations.
Sign Lighting Overview.
Sign Materials Overview.
Basic Sign Materials.
Electronic Message Display Devices.
Stock Sign Hardware Systems.
Sign Materials and Codes.
Overview of Coatings and Finishes Applied to Signs.
- Provides in-depth view of the environmental design process from research and design development to project execution
- Covers signage provisions of the Americans with Disabilities Act
- Features more than a hundred images (design concepts, working drawings, diagrams, maps) and 32 pages of full-color images
- Covers development of room/space numbering systems, approaches to sign typing and numbering, and message schedule management
- Offers a cross-disciplinary approach so that architects, interior designers, landscape architects, graphic designers and industrial designers will all find the information relevant
- Comprehensive, easy-to-read reference guide
"Environmental graphic designers-referred to as EGDs in this volume-make sure we can get where we're going, without a bunch of extra information. Signage and Wayfinding Design looks at this emerging field and highlights some of its best work." (StepInsideDesign, 2007)
"This is the ultimate Sign Design Cookbook. Absolutely every issue is covered.... This Comprehensive volume outlines the entire process of design, as well as providing a portfolio of finished projects." (segdDESIGN, No. 16)
Signage and Wayfinding Design: A Complete Guide to Creating Environmental Graphic Design Systems (US $75.00)
-and- Egress Design Solutions: A Guide to Evacuation and Crowd Management Planning (US $130.00)
Total List Price: US $205.00
Discounted Price: US $153.75 (Save: US $51.25)