GURPS For Dummies
- Determine your character’s basic attributes: IQ, DX (dexterity), ST (strength) and HT (health)
- Figure out your character’s secondary characteristics
- Choose advantages (including powers and perks) and disadvantages (including quirks and disadvantages with a self-control roll modifier)
- Optimize your points by using talents
- Select your skills based on functional area or the campaign setting
- Enhance your character with spells, magic items, magic staves, and powerstones
- Strategically purchase equipment for different characters, tech levels, and campaign types
- Create and manage a character sheet, write a character background, keep a character log, and more—all with samples
- Choose good combat techniques and play with your character
If you want to become a GM, this guide gets you going with advice on creating the adventure, managing the character creation process, managing combat, and interpreting the rules. There’s even a handy Cheat Sheet tear-out GM screen in the front of the book. There are tips throughout, plus advice on how to:
Create your very own GURPS universe for your campaign, whether it’s dungeon-crawl, high-adventure, combat-focused, puzzle-focused, or masquerade-type
Provide a basic write-up of the world for your players, including technology level, supernatural and supernormal abilities and powers, races, setting, character templates, cultural and social information, and limitations
Create an electronic combat grid, a battle log, a tactical map, and more—with samples
Do mapping, planning, and plotting
Create memorable NPC (nonplayer characters), both good guys and bad guys
GURPS For Dummies helps you create more detailed, exciting, and interesting characters and take your game to the next level. That’s important whether you’re saving a princess or saving the planet…searching for hidden treasure or for secrets to eliminate disease… fighting crime or combating armies of evil robots…casting spells in medieval castles or destroying terrorist cells in modern day milieus. With GURPS, the only limitation is your imagination.
Part I: Getting Started with GURPS.
Chapter 1: Introducing GURPS—The Generic Universal RolePlaying System.
Chapter 2: Determining Your Role.
Chapter 3: Laying the Attribute Foundation.
Chapter 4: Taking Advantages.
Chapter 5: Finding Your Hero's Flaws.
Chapter 6: Finalizing Your Character with Skills.
Part II: Enhancing Your Character.
Chapter 7: So You Want to Be a Wizard - Magic.
Chapter 8: Powering Your Character.
Chapter 9: Tackling Tech Level.
Chapter 10: Playing Races Outside the Norm.
Part III: Playing with Your Character.
Chapter 11: Doing Unto Others: Combat.
Chapter 12: Tracking the Details.
Chapter 13: Playing the Role.
Part IV: Running Your Own Adventure.
Chapter 14: Playing the GM.
Chapter 15: Building a Simple Adventure.
Chapter 16: Motivating Players.
Part V: Building Your Own World.
Chapter 17: Creating a Complete Campaign.
Chapter 18: Setting the State for Your World.
Chapter 19: Mapping, Planning, and Plotting.
Chapter 20: Creating Memorable NPCs.
Chapter 21: Flavoring your Campaign.
Part VI: The Parts of Ten.
Chapter 22: Ten Rules for Spending Points.
Chapter 23: Ten Advantages We Like.
Chapter 24: Ten Disadvantages That Aren't Too Painful.
Bjoern-Erik Hartsfvang has 24 years of experience crafting and running game worlds.
Stuart J. Stuple has 15 years of gaming experience with a focus on technology and alien races.