Basic Guide to System Safety, 2nd Edition
Basic Guide to System Safety is an ideal primer for practicing occupational safety and health professionals and industrial safety engineers needing a quick introductionto system safety principles. Designed to familiarize the reader with the applicationof scientific and engineering principles for the timely identification of hazards, thisbook efficiently outlines the essentials of system safety and its impact on day-to-dayoccupational safety and health.
Divided into two main parts - The System Safety Program and System Safety Analysis: Techniques and Methods - this easy-to-understand book covers:
- System safety concepts
- System safety program requirements
- Probability theory and statistical analysis
- Preliminary hazard analysis
- Failure mode and effect analysis
- Hazard and Operability Studies (HAZOP) and what-if analyses
PART I: THE SYSTEM SAFETY PROGRAM.
1. System Safety: An Overview.
2. System Safety Concepts.
3. System Safety Program Requirements.
4. The Industrial Safety Connection.
Chapter 5. Probability Theory and Statistical Analysis.
PART II: SYSTEM SAFETY ANALYIS: TECHNIQUES AND METHODS.
6. Preliminary Hazard Analysis.
7. Subsystem and System Hazard Analysis.
8. Operating and Support Hazard Analysis.
9. Energy Trace and barrier Analysis.
10. Failure Mode and Effect Analysis.
11. Fault or Functional Hazard Analysis.
12. Fault Tree Analysis.
13. Management Oversight and Risk Tree.
14. HAOP and What-If Analyses.
15. Special Use Analysis Techniques.
Appendix A: Sources of Additional Information and Training.
Appendix B: Acronyms and Abbreviations.
- Chapter on Hazard and Operability (HAZOP) studies
- Chapter on What-If Analysis
- Expanded chapter on Job Hazard Analysis
Approaches the subject without assuming that the student has an extensive background in system safety engineering
Provides a working knowledge of basic system safety concepts without delving too deeply into engineering and technical intricacies – such a basic understanding is necessary and important for all safety professionals