Sometimes I Act Crazy: Living with Borderline Personality Disorder
Do you experience frightening, often violent mood swings that make you fear for your sanity? Are you often depressed? Do you engage in self-destructive behaviors such as drug or alcohol abuse, anorexia, compulsive eating, self-cutting, and hair pulling? Do you feel empty inside, or as if you don't know who you are? Do you dread being alone and fear abandonment? Do you have trouble finishing projects, keeping a job, or forming lasting relationships?
If you or someone you love answered yes to the majority of these questions, there's a good chance that you or that person suffers from borderline personality disorder, a commonly misunderstood and misdiagnosed psychological problem afflicting tens of millions of people. Princess Diana was one of the most well-known BPD sufferers.
As a source of hope and practical advice for BPD sufferers and those who love them, this new book by Dr. Jerold J. Kreisman and Hal Straus, bestselling authors of I Hate You, Don't Leave Me, offers proven techniques that help you:
* Manage mood swings
* Develop lasting relationships
* Improve your self-esteem
* Keep negative thoughts at bay
* Control destructive impulses
* Understand your treatment options
* Find professional help
1. Borderline Basics. Action Steps: A Quick BPD Checklist.
2. Fears of Abandonment. Action Steps: Dealing with Borderline Fears of Abandonment.
3. Unstable Interpersonal relationships. Action Steps: Dealing with Intense Relationships.
4. Identity Disturbance. Action Steps: Establishing a Sense of Self.
5. Destructive Impulsivity. Action Steps: Managing Impulsivity.
6. Suicidal Behaviors and Self-Mutilation. Action Steps: Dealing with Self-Destructive Behaviors.
7. Mood Instability.
8. Emptiness. Action Steps: Filling the Emptiness.
9. Anger. Action Steps: Strategies for Coping with borderline Rage.
10. reality Distortions: Paranoia and Dissociation. Action Steps: Dealing with Borderline Psychosis.
11. Treatment Strategies and Communication Techniques. Action Steps: Finding the Right Therapist. Action Steps: General Approaches to Communication.
12. Prognosis and Directions of Future Research.
HAL STRAUS has written five books and numerous articles for such magazines as Ladies' Home Journal, Men's Health, and Redbook.