Nuclear Physics: Principles and Applications
* Includes chapters on practical examples and problems
* Contains hints to solving problems which are included in the appendix
* Avoids complex and extensive mathematical treatments
* A modern approach to nuclear physics, covering the basic theory, but emphasising the many and important applications
Editors' preface to the Manchester Physics Series.
PART I: PRINCIPLES.
Chapter 1. Introduction and Basic Concepts.
Chapter 2. Nuclear Structure.
Chapter 3. Nuclear Instability.
Chapter 4. Nuclear Reactions.
PART II: INSTRUMENTATIN AND APPLICATIONS.
Chapter 5. Interaction of Radiation with Matter.
Chapter 6. Detectors and Instrumentation.
Chapter 7. Biological Effects of Radiation.
Chapter 8. Industrial and Analytical Applications.
Chapter 9. Nuclear Medicine.
Chapter 10. Power From Fission.
Chapter 11. Thermonuclear Fusion.
Appendix A. Useful Information.
Appendix B. Particle in a Square Well.
Appendix C. Density of States and the Fermi Energy.
Appendix D. Spherical Harmonics.
Appendix E. Coulomb Scattering.
Appendix F. Mass Excesses and Decay Properties of Nuclei.
Appendix G. Answers and Hints to Problems.
- A modern approach to nuclear physics, covering the basic theory, but emphasising the many and important applications.
- Avoids complex and extensive mathematical treatments.
- Contains hints to solving problems which are included in the appendix.
- Includes chapters on practical examples and problems.