Hypermedia and the Web: An Engineering Approach
February 1999, ©1999
Hypermedia (often used just as Hypertext is - but in this book taken to include multimedia as well as textual online information) is a term which describes the form and structure of online information and in particular the innate characteristic of linking electronic data.
The online world offered through the Web is marred by the chaos which underlies it. At the very early stages of understanding how to harness the power of this new medium, electronic document creators, managers and researchers often spend time on technology innovations at the expense of adopting the sound engineeirng principles which have paid such dividends in the software industry.
Hypermedia and the Web approaches interactive information (concentrating on hypertext documents) as a structure requiring management, quantification and documentation. From analysing the purpose for which a website, CD-ROM or online archive is created and assessing the characteristics and resources needed for the process of building it, to the evaluation of the product itself, this book attempts to carve out features that are essential to structuring information in an electronic environment.
Suitable for students on graduate computer science coursesElectronic Publishing, Multimedia and other online related courses. Will also be of great interest to Web Development Managers and Consultants concerned with maintainability of Websites and large electronic document archives.
What is Hypermedia Engineering?
Product Issue in Hypermedia Development.
Process Issues in Hypermedia Development.
Approaches to Hypermedia Development.
HYPERMEDIA DEVELOPMENT PRACTICE: Hypermedia Development: Current Practice.
Hypermedia Development: Best Practice.
Hypermedia Development: Future Practice.
CASE STUDIES ON CUTTING-EDGE HYPERMEDIA DEVELOPMENT: Current Research.
Comparison of Approaches.
- Examines the principles of hypermedia design.
- A treatise on how to apply methodical, structured, repeatable and measurable techniques to build robust and quality systems.
- Hypermedia is an emerging academic discipline attempting to make sense of the Web.
- An ambitious book charting an emerging discipline and will provide a framework for new development processes.
- Defines a subject and is comparable in its stage of development as software engineering was in the 1970s.
- Wendy Hall is internationally recognised as a pioneer of hypertext systems including Microcosm.