Philosophy as a Way of Life: Spiritual Exercises from Socrates to Foucault
August 1995, Wiley-Blackwell
Part I: Method: .
1. Forms of Life and Forms of Discourse in Ancient Philosophy.
2. Philosophy, Exegesis and Creative Mistakes.
Part II: Spiritual Exercise: .
3. Spiritual Exercise.
4. Ancient Spirituality and 'Christian Philosophy.'.
Part III: Figures: .
5. Figure of Socrates.
6. Marcus Aurelius.
7. Reflections of the Idea of the 'Cultivation of the Self'.
Part IV: Themes:.
8. Only the Present is our Happiness.
9. The View From Above.
10. The Sage and the World.
11. Philosophy as a Way of Life.
* This is the first time Hadot's work has been available in English.
<!--end-->"Hadot's work is very engaging, knowledgeable, well written and insightful. I highly recommend this book for both general and professional readers." Richard S. Findler, Phil dept, Slippery Rock University for the History of European Ideas
"Recommended for upper-division undergraduates, graduate students, and faculty." H. L. Shapiro, University of Missouri for Choice