Holism: A Shopper's Guide
April 1992, Wiley-Blackwell
1. Introduction: A Geography of The Issues.
2. Confirmation Holism and Meaning Holism: W. V. O. Quine.
3. Meaning Holism and Radical Interpretation: Donald Davidson.
4. Meaning Holism and The Inextricability Thesis: David Lewis.
5. Meaning Holism and The Normativity of Intentional Ascription (and A Little More about Davidson): D. C. Dennett.
6. Meaning Holism and Conceptual Role Semantics: Ned Block.
7. State Space Semantics (and A Brief Conclusion): Paul Churchland.
Ernest Lepore is the co-editor of the recent John Searle and his Critics (Blackwell, 1991) and of two volumes of essays on Donald Davidson, as well as numerous articles on philosophy of language and philosophy of mind.
* It covers all the main positions held by key people in the field.
* Fodor is probably the most influential figure in current cognitive science.
"Fodor and Lepore's discussion of holism is unrivalled in argumentative density and philosophical energy, and it will certainly lead to a storm of new activity." Mind