Metaphor and Material Culture
January 1991, Wiley-Blackwell
List of Illustrations.
List of Tables.
Part I: Metaphor and the constitution of the world:.
1. Metaphor in language, thought and culture.
2. Solid metaphor: the analysis of material forms.
Part II: Text, artefact, art: Introduction.
3. Frozen metaphor: megaliths in texts.
4. The metaphorical transformations of Wala canoes.
5. Body metaphors in southern Scandinavian rock art.
Part III: Landscapes and a sense of place: Introduction.
6. The beach in the sky.
7. Performing culture in the global village.
- An innovative contribution to recent debates about the use of 'metaphor' in the social sciences, from an archaeological perspective
- Written by one of the foremost scholars working on archaeological theory, with an international reputation
- Combines theoretical interpretation with practical examples 'from the field'.
"This is an innovative book which raises important issues relevant to students of material culture." George Bankes, University of Manchester, Journal of The Royal Anthropological Institute