Phonology: Theory and Description
July 1995, ©1995, Wiley-Blackwell
List of Tables.
List of Abbreviations and Symbols.
1. Preliminaries to Phonology.
2. Phonological Processes.
3. Syllables and Syllabification.
4. Distinctive Features.
5. Rules and Domains.
6. Postlexical Processes in English.
7. Stress and Rhythm.
8. Stress and Rhythm in English.
- provides a lively and accessible introduction to the fundamental concepts of phonology
- examines four main themes - syllable structure, feature structure, rules and stress/rhythm - and includes illuminating references to a variety of languages
- Contains exercises and suggestions for further reading in each chapter
"A clear, up-to-date introductory text. The chapters on syllables, and on rules and domains, are particularly well done." Moira Yip, University of California, Irvine
"This is a lively and accessible introduction to phonology for undergraduates. Its focus on English makes it useful for potential linguists as well as for potential teachers of English as a second language." Ellen Broselow, State University of New York at Stonybrook