Language and Masculinity
December 1996, Wiley-Blackwell
Introduction: Ulrike Hanna Meinhof and Sally Johnson (Bradford University and Lancaster University).
1. Theorizing Language and Masculinity: A Feminist Perspective: Sally Johnson (Lancaster University).
2. 'Box-out' and 'Taxing': Roger Hewitt (Institute of Education, London).
3. Performing Gender Identity: Young Men's Talk and the Construction of Heterosexual Masculinity: Deborah Cameron (University of Strathclyde).
4. Power and the Language of Men: Scott Fabius Kiesling.
5. Masculinity in a Multilingual Setting: John Pujolar (Lancaster University).
6. 'One-at-a-Time': The Organization of Men's Talk: Jennifer Coates (Roehampton Institute).
7. Do Men Gossip?An Analysis of Football Talk on Television: Sally Johnson and Frank Finlay (Lancaster University).
8. The Role of Expletives in the Construction of Masculinity: Vivian de Klerk (Rhodes University).
9. 'Aceptarlo con hombria': Representations of Masculinity in Spanish Political Discourse: JoAnne Neff van Aertselaer (Universidad Complutense).
10. 'Randy Fish Boss Branded a Stinker': Coherence and the Construction of Masculinities in a British Tabloid Newspaper: Mary M. Talbot (Odense Universitet).
11. 'The Object of Contempt is the Object of Desire': Representations of Masculinity in Straight to Hell Magazine: John Heywood (Lancaster University).
12. 'The Most Important Event of My Life!'A Comparison of Male and Female Written Narratives: Ulrike Hanna Meinhof (Bradford University).