The Germans and the Final Solution: Public Opinion Under Nazism
June 1996, Wiley-Blackwell
1. Image and Reality in the Third Reich.
2. Institutionalization and Radicalization.
3. International Crises and Foreign Policy.
4. Public Responses to Anti-semitism 1933-1938.
5. Workers, Peasants and Businessmen.
6. The Awareness of the Holocaust.
7. Public Responses to Anti-semitism 1939-1943.
8. Image and Reality - The End.
* Utilizes undiscovered documents and secret police reports.
* Examines a key period in European Jewish History, 1933-1945.
"A well written and important book that deserves to be widely read and to be placed in every public library." Times Higher Education Supplement
"Bankier's book will be welcomed by anyone teaching German history, Nazism, or the Holocaust, because it is the first book to answer comprehensively the most common student question in any discussion of the Holocaust: What did average Germans know and how did they feel about Hitler's antisemitic propaganda and mass murder?" Choice