The European Family
January 2000, Wiley-Blackwell
1. The Beginnings.
2. The Heritage of Greece and Rome.
3. The Coming of Christianity.
4. The German Lands.
5. The European Patterns and Medieval Regimes.
6. Women, Children and Fathers in the Reformation and Counter-Reformation.
7. Dowry and the Rights of Women.
8. The Differences.
9. Proto and Full Industrialization.
10. Modernization and the Family: The Theories.
11. The Contemporary Family in Practice.
"Jack Goody has a well-deserved reputation for pithy analysis
and breathtaking international comparisons ... The book is filled
with seasoned insights and shrewd observations." Population and
"Highly recommended for those who seek a broad, if polemical, history of the family." CHOICE