The French Revolution: 1770-1814
December 1996, ©1996, Wiley-Blackwell
1. The Ancien Régime.
2. The Revolution of 1789: 1787-1791.
3. The Jacobin Republic: 1791-1794.
4. The Thermidorian Republic: 1794-1799.
5. Napoleon Bonaparte: 1799-1814.
Appendix I: Chronological Table.
Appendix II: The Republican Calendar for Year II (1793-1794).
Index of Names.
Index of Subjects.
* Written by the leading international historian of the period.
* Provides readers with a critical perspective on the historiography of the subject.
"An outstanding work of synthesis and imagination." The Times
"This book is the best - and, especially, the best written - history of French politics during these years that I know. Conceived in the analytical tradition of Constant and Tocqueville, written in the narrative, learned, and convincing." Patrice Higonnet, Harvard University