Fractured Europe: 1600 - 1721
February 2002, ©2002, Wiley-Blackwell
List of Maps.
List of Illustrations.
1. The Context of 1600.
2. Central and Southern Europe: 1600-1635.
3. Central and Southern Europe: 1635-1648.
4. Western Europe: 1600-1660: Spain and France.
5. Western Europe: 1603-1660: Britain and the United Provinces.
6. Northern Europe: 1618-1660: Scandinavia, Russia and Poland.
7. Central and Southern Europe with the Ottoman Empire: 1660-1720.
8. Western Europe: 1660-1720: France and Spain.
9. Western Europe: 1660-1720: Britain the United Provinces and War.
10. Northern Europe: 1660-1721: Scandinavia, Russia and Poland.
List of Significant Dates.
David J. Sturdy is Professor of Early Modern History at the University of Ulster in Coleraine. His previous publications include The d'Aligres de la Rivière: Servants of the Bourbon State in the Seventeenth Century (1986), Science and Social Status in Early Modern France: The Members of the Académie des Sciences, 1666–1750 (1995) and Louis XIV (1998).
- Organised around a narrative and geographical structure.
- Covers the history of Britain and Ireland as well as continental Europe.
- Contains illustrations, maps and other supporting material.
- Examines cultural as well as political and social history.
"Dr Sturdy has written an excellent introduction to
seventeenth-century Europe for the student approaching the subject
for the first time. He supplies in a lucid description the factual
evidence essential to the formulation of thematic or analytical
arguments about the period." Lionel K. J. Glassey, University of
"Sturdy's book is organized around geographical regions (including the British Isles) with a break at 1660 to consider some themes... a comprehansive and factually accurate a narrative [which] is a considerable achievement. Sturdy is to be commended for producing a sound textbook, which must have been the product of much labour." Graham Derby, King Edward VI School, Southampton
Buy Both and Save 25%!
Fractured Europe: 1600 - 1721 (US $65.95)
-and- Europe's Troubled Peace: 1945 to the Present, 2nd Edition (US $49.95)
Total List Price: US $115.90
Discounted Price: US $86.92 (Save: US $28.98)