The Blackwell Reader in Pastoral and Practical Theology
February 2000, Wiley-Blackwell
- Presents pastoral and practical theology within a theoretical framework
- Contains classic readings together with newly commissioned articles
- Engages with practical theologies from both sides of the Atlantic
Introduction: How to Use This Book.
1. An Introduction to Pastoral and Practical Theology: Stephen Pattison (Cardiff University) and James Woodward (Foundation of Lady Katherine Leveson).
Part I: Modern Pastoral and Practical Theology in Historical Perspective:.
Introduction to Part I.
2. The Meaning and Importance of Pastoral Theology: Seward Hiltner (Formerly Yale University).
3. Introduction to Pastoral Theology in the United States: John Patton (Columbia Theological Seminary).
4. The Emergence of Pastoral and Practical Theology in Britain: Paul Ballard (Cardiff University).
Part II: Approaches and Methods in Pastoral and Practical Theology: .
Introduction to Part II.
5. The Nature of Practical Theology: Alastair Campbell (University of Bristol).
6. Pastoral Theology in a Pluralistic Age: Don Browning (University of Chicago).
7. Practical Theology as Transforming Practice: Elaine Graham (University of Manchester).
8. Interpreting Situations: An Enquiry into the Nature of Practical Theology: Edward Farley (Vanderbilt University).
9. Practical Theology as a Theological Form: Emmanuel Lartey (University of Birmingham).
10. A Basic Introduction to Theological Reflection: Stephen Pattison (Cardiff University).
Part III: Relating Theory and Practice to Perspectives and Issues in Pastoral and Practical Theology:.
Introduction to Part III.
11. Pastoral Theology and Sociology: Michael Northcott (Edinburgh University).
12. Liberation Theology and Political Theory: Peter Sedgwick (Church of England's Board of Social Responsibility).
13. Ecclesiology and Pastoral Theology: Nicholas Bradbury (Diocese of Bristol).
14. Christian Morality and Pastoral Theology: Nicholas Peter Harvey.
15. Spirituality in a Post-modern Era: Marie McCarthy (Centre for Religion and Psychotherapy of Chicago).
16. Sketching the Contours of a Pastoral Theological Perspective: Suffering, Healing and Reconstructing Experiencing: Chris Schlauch (Boston University).
17. The Relationship between Pastoral Counselling and Pastoral Theology: Gordon Lynch.
18. How Sexuality and Relationships have Revolutionised Pastoral Theology: Bonnie J. Miller-McLemore (Vanderbilt Divinity School).
19. Culture Religious Faiths and Race: Martin Forward (Wesley House).
20. What is the Relevance of Congregational Studies for Pastoral Theology? Brynoff Lyon.
21. Towards Dialogue: An Exploration of the Relations between Psychiatry and Religion in Contemporary Mental Health: Mark Sutherland (Maudsley Hospital).
22. Management and Pastoral Theology: Stephen Pattison (Cardiff University).
Part IV: Evaluating Pastoral and Practical Theology: .
Introduction to Part IV.
23. An Introduction to an Evaluation in Pastoral Theology and Pastoral Care: Stephen Pattison (Cardiff University) and James Woodward (Foundation of Lady Katherine Leveson).
24. A Pastoral Carer's Performance: David Lyall.
Dr Stephen Pattison is currently Senior Research Fellow
in Pastoral Theology, University of Wales, Cardiff.
John Patton is Professor of Theology at Columbia Theological Seminary, Georgia.
- Presents pastoral and practical theology within a theoretical framework.
- Contains classic readings together with newly commissioned articles.
- Engages with practical theologies from both sides of the Atlantic.
"An invaluable book for teachers and students of pastoral
theology, this is a 'must' for any serious student of pastoral
theology” Journal of Beliefs and Value
“As a resource for students and teaches in the field, this is a Reader that is practically de rigueur for a theological library or personal bookshelf…The editors and Blackwell publishers should be congratulated on this very fine contribution to theological enquiry and practice.” Australasian Catholic Record
Buy Both and Save 25%!
The Blackwell Reader in Pastoral and Practical Theology (US $65.95)
Total List Price: US $116.90
Discounted Price: US $87.67 (Save: US $29.23)