Management Development: Strategy and Practice
May 1998, Wiley-Blackwell
List of Tables.
List of Exhibits.
Part I: The Purpose of Management Development.
1. Management Development: Purposes, Processes and Prerequisites.
2. Management Development and Organizational Strategy: Justifying and Evaluating the Business Focus.
3. Supporting Individual Managerial Careers.
Part II: Identifying Development Needs.
4. Understanding Managerial Work, Roles and Competences.
5. Methodologies for Analysing Managerial Roles and Competences.
6. Analysing Individual Development Needs.
Part III: Management Development Interventions.
7. The Managerial Learning Process and its Context.
8. Using Formal Off the Job Management Development.
9 Work-based Management Development Methods: Informal and Incidental.
Part IV: Meeting Different Management Development Needs.
10. Management Development for Professionals.
11. Management Development for Women.
12. Management Development for International Managers.
13. Executive Development and the Top Team.
Dr Jean Woodall is Reader in Human Resource Management at Kingston Business School. She has researched widely in management development, the implications of organizational change for managerial careers and ethical issues in human resource management.