Local Authority Social Services: An Introduction
September 2000, Wiley-Blackwell
List of Tables.
List of Contributors.
Part I: Establishing the Main Concerns of the Book.
1. What are Local Authority Social Services?.
2. Origins of the Local Authority Social Services.
3. The Contemporary Social Framework.
Part II: The Local Authority Social Services Task.
4. Child Care.
5. Adult Care.
6. Mental Health.
7. Social Services and Social Security.
Part III: Organization: Present and Future.
8. The Central and Local Government Framework.
9. Organization within Local Authorities.
10. Modernizing Social Services.
11. Conclusions: The Future of Local Authority Social Services.
The other contributors are Bob Hudson, Principle Research Fellow in the Community Care Division at the Nuffield Institute of Health at the University of Leeds.
Stephen Mitchell, Head of the General Social Services Policy Branch in the Department of Health.
Ian Shaw, Lecturer in Social Policy at the University of Nottingham.
Jane Tunstill, Professor of Social Work at Royal Holloway College, University of London.
* Covers all the personal social services and analyses the frameworks within which they operate.
* Michael Hill is author of our successful textbook, Understanding Social Policy, about to enter its sixth edition.
--Tony Rees, University of Southampton
"The strength of this book lies in the quality of analysis and its ability to capture and discuss critically the impact of the government's modernization agenda. It should have a place in all departmental libraries."
-- Terry Bamford, Community Care
"This book is unique in providing a clear framework for understanding the relationship between social policy and social services, and the complex structures and roles of the different organizations involved in the operation of social services ... It is one of the few texts that provide a clear picture of how to make sense of the bureaucratic organizational structures that surround social services ... in all the book is an important text for the social worker or student in understanding the relationship between social services, local authority and the central state." (Journal of Social Work)
Local Authority Social Services: An Introduction (US $124.95)
Total List Price: US $192.95
Discounted Price: US $144.71 (Save: US $48.24)