Pragmatics: An Introduction, 2nd Edition
February 2001, ©2001, Wiley-Blackwell
Part I: Basic Notions:.
1. Defining Pragmatics.
2. Some Issues In Pragmatics.
Part II: Micropragmatics:.
3. Context, Implicature And Reference.
4. Pragmatic Principles.
5. Speech Acts.
6. Conversation Analysis.
Part III: Macropragmatics:.
8. Pragmatic Acts.
9. Literary Pragmatics.
10. Pragmatics Across Cultures.
11. Social Aspects Of Pragmatics.
Discussion & Review Questions.
Epilogue: Of Silence and Comets.
- Extends the treatment of metapragmatic phenomena otherwise
known as 'indexing'
- Gives full-fledged treatment to the theory of Pragmatic
- Includes new chapters on literary pragmatics and pragmatics
- Covers extensive recent research in the rapidly evolving 'critical' orientation
"This is a fine and wide-ranging book." Journal of
"This second edition of Mey's book provides a valuable introduction to pragmatics in general and to some of Mey's theoretical ideas in particular. As such it is an appropriate text for both the undergraduate student of pragmatics and the more advanced reader in the field." Louise Cummings, Nottingham Trent University