Existentialism: A Reconstruction, 2nd Edition
June 1999, Wiley-Blackwell
The author places existentialism within the great traditions of philosophy, and argues that it deserves as much attention from analytic philosophers as it has always received on the continent.
Part I: Preliminaries:.
1. The Sources of a Name.
2. Existentialists and 'The Existentialist'.
3. Some Misconceptions.
Part II: Philosophy and Alienation:.
4. Battling against Bewitchment.
5. Hegel and Marx.
6. Existentialist and Alienation.
Part III: From Phenomenology to Existentialism:.
8. The Existentialist Critique.
Part IV: 'Being-in-the-World':.
10. Human Existence.
Part V: Dualisms Dissolved:.
11. Subject versus Object.
12. Mind versus Body.
13. Reason versus Passion.
14. Fact versus Value.
Part VI: Self and Others:.
15. Some False Starts.
16.'Being-with' and 'Being-for'.
Part VII: Modes of Self-estrangement:.
17. Public, Herd and the 'They'.
18. Bad Faith and 'the Predominance of the Other'.
19. A Problem.
Part VIII: Angst, Death and Absurdity:.
23. Religious Intimations.
Part IX: Existential Freedom:.
24. Freedom and Constraint.
25. Choice and Refusal.
26. Individuals and Tribes.
Part X: Existentialism and Ethics:.
27. Existentialism versus Ethics?.
28. Commitment and Availability.
29. Reciprocal Freedom.
Part XI: Appendix: .
30. Heidegger and Sartre: An 'Erroneous Conflation'?.
* Includes a new preface and expanded bibliography taking note of works by and on existentialist writers that have appeared over the last decade.
* Comprises the best general account of existentialism which has helped to renew an interest in existentialist philosophy.
‘In this clear and superbly written book, David Cooper provides a thematic presentation of the central ideas of existentialism. He has produced an invaluable work for students and general readers who can appreciate a well-argued, straightforward account of existentialism that does not sacrifice the richness of the ideas that make the philosophy of existentialism so engaging.’ – James Risser, Seattle University
Buy Both and Save 25%!
Existentialism: A Reconstruction, 2nd Edition (US $132.95)
-and- Gardening - Philosophy for Everyone: Cultivating Wisdom (US $21.95)
Total List Price: US $154.90
Discounted Price: US $116.17 (Save: US $38.73)