Eating Disorders: Anatomy of a Social Epidemic, 2nd Edition
April 2000, Wiley-Blackwell
1. Culture and Psychopathology: The Notion of an Ethnic Disorder.
2. Eating Disorders: Anorexia Nervosa and Bulimia Nervosa.
3. Dimensions of an Epidemic: The Epidemiology of Eating Disorders.
4. A Conflicted Female Identity.
5. The Thin Body Ideal.
6. The War Against Fat: Obesity, Dieting, and Exercise.
7. The Templates of a Disease.
8. The Cultural Politics of Eating Disorders.
* Provides accounts of the latest research on the epidemiological status of eating disorders and the subsequent debate that this work has engendered.
* Richard Gordon brings together historical and cultural perspectives, as well as his own clinical experience, in order to examine the sociocultural roots of this apparent epidemic.