Decolonization: The Fall of the European Empires, 2nd Edition
January 1991, Wiley-Blackwell
Part I: The Background:.
1. First Colonial Responses.
Part II: The British Empire: Asia:.
3. Ceylon, Burma and Malaya.
Part III: The British Empire: Africa:.
6. Sierra Leone and The Gambia.
7. East Africa (Uganda, Tankanyika and Zanzibar).
9. South Central Africa (the Rhodesias and Nyasaland).
Part IV: The British Empire: Outposts: .
10. The Caribbean.
11. The Mediterranean.
12. The 'Daughters'.
Part V: The Commonwealth:.
Part VI: The French Empire: .
13. North Africa.
14. Black Africa and Madagascar.
Part VII: The Empires of the Smaller European Powers: .
16. The Dutch Empire.
17. The Belgian Empire.
18. The Italian Empire.
19. The Spanish Empire.
20. The Portuguese Empire.
21. The Russian Empire.
Guide to Further Reading.
Muriel Chamberlain is Emeritus Professor of History at the University of Wales, Swansea. She is currently the editor of The Historian, the journal of the Historical Association and is an Associate Editor of The New Dictionary of National Biography. Her previous publications include Lord Aberdeen: a Political Biography (1983), Lord Palmerston (1987), Pax Britannica: British Foreign Policy, 1789-1914 (1988) and The Scramble for Africa (second edition 1999). She is also joint editor of an English edition of Friedrich Fabri’s Does Germany Need Colonies? (Ed. with Breuning, 1998).
* Provides full coverage of the transfer of power in Hong Kong
* Places decolonization in the context of 500 years of European global domination.