A Companion to Victorian Literature and Culture
October 1999, Wiley-Blackwell
1. 1832: Finding the Beginning: Lawrence Poston.
2. 1848: Revolution and Reform: Antony H. Harrison.
3. 1870: Linda K. Hughes.
4. 1897: Stephen Arata.
Part II: Passages Of Life:.
5. Growing Up: Childhood: Claudia Nelson.
6. Moving Out: Adolescence: Chris R. Vanden Bossche.
7. Growing Old: Age: Teresa Mangum.
8. Passing On: Death: Gerhard Joseph and Herbert F. Tucker.
9. Victorian Sexualities: James Eli Adams.
Part III: Walks Of Life:.
10. Clerical: Christine L. Krueger.
11. Legal: Simon Petch.
12. Medical: Lawrence Rothfield.
13. Military: John R. Reed.
14. Educational: Thomas William Heyck.
15. Administrative: Robert Newsom.
16. Financial: Christina Crosby.
17. Industrial: Herbert Sussman.
18. Commercial: Jennifer Wicke.
19. Spectacle: Joss Marsh.
20. Publishing: Richard D. Altick.
Part IV: Kinds Of Writing: .
21. Poetry: E. Warwick Slinn.
22. Fiction: Hilary Schor.
23. Drama: Alan Fischler.
24. Life Writing: Timothy Peltason.
25. Sage Writing: Linda H. Petersen.
26. Literary Criticism: David E. Latane, Jr.
Part V: Borders: Skins / Walls / Shores:.
27. Under Victorian Skins: Helena Michie.
28. On the Parapets of Privacy: Karen Chase and Michael Levenson.
29.'Then on the Shore of the Wide World': The Victorian Nation and Its Others: James Buzard.
* Includes extensive bibliographies directing the student to further reading.
* Examines Victorian literature in its cultural and historical context.
"This book has been planned to meet both short-term and long-range needs. It is a reference work for consultation. " The Victorian Newsletter
"...Tucker's Companion, with its extensive range of topics (some truly original and rarely dealt with in similar books), its well-documented essays, and constant degree of serious scholarship, apears indeed as an extremely valuable tool for students and scholars alike, and a major contribution to Victorian criticism." The Journal of the South Central Modern Language Association