The Population of Europe
February 2000, Wiley-Blackwell
This price is valid for United States. Change location to view local pricing and availability.
This is a Print-on-Demand title. It will be printed specifically to fill your order. Please allow an additional 2-3 days delivery time. The book is not returnable.
Part I: Numbers:.
1. Factors of constraint and factors of choice.
2. A millenium of demographic development.
3. Slow change in old regime societies.
4. Interpretive choices.
Part II: Space:.
5. Geography and environment.
6. The conquest of space before the Black Death.
7. Again eastward and southward.
8. Settlement intensification and land reclamation.
Part III: Food:.
10. Population and nutrition.
11. Nutrition, infection, and mortality.
12. Bread and its accompaniments.
13. Famine and hunger.
14. Long-term nutrition and mortality.
15. Paradoxes and reality.
Part IV: Microbes and Disease:.
16. Lives on the brink.
17. A world in motion.
18. The plague: a four-handed game.
19. The final match.
20. Demographic losses.
21. Other factors and the road to normalcy.
Part V: Systems: .
22. Demographic systems.
23. England, France, and Germany.
26. More on infant mortality.
28. Equilibrium and transformations.
Part VI: The Great Transformation (1800-1914):.
29. A frame of reference.
30. Demographic expansion: numbers and interpretations.
31. Two months per year: increasing life expectancy.
32. Infant mortality.
33. The advent of birth control.
34. Outside of Europe.
Part VII: The End of a Cycle:.
35. Demography in the twentieth century: mortality and fertility.
36. Demography in the twentieth century: migration, structures, models.