Colloquial French Grammar: A Practical Guide
October 2000, ©2000, Wiley-Blackwell
2. Three Grammatical Processes.
3. Noun Phrases.
5. Conjunctions and Prepositions.
6. Sentence Structure and Organization.
7. Grammatical Effects of an Unreformed Spelling System.
Appendix 1: Answers to Selected Exercises.
Appendix 2: Explanations of Grammatical Terms.
Appendix 3: Using the International Phonetic Alphabet.
- A readable, non-technical account of the distinctive characteristics of non-standard French morphology and syntax.
- Less well-known standard structures are reviewed, and all the grammatical terms used are explained. A step-by-step guide to the International Phonetic Alphabet is included.
- An Introduction outlines the historical background to the grammatical differences described, their sociological implications, and attitudes towards them.
- A wide range of illustrative examples and exercises is provided.
- The book complements Byrne & Churchill's Comprehensive French Grammar 4th edition by Glanville Price (Blackwell, 1993) and its accompanying workbook by George Evans, Valerie Howells and Dulcie Engel (Blackwell, 1998).